free website stats program 74 Sportster XLH | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

74 Sportster XLH

Keep an eye on the hard oil line (nice job) where it touches the engine. Maybe split a short piece of hose to keep it up. Coils are usually mounted above the front cylinder where they get a good air flow. Between the cylinders is not good.

Keep an eye on the hard oil line (nice job) where it touches the engine. Maybe split a short piece of hose to keep it up. Coils are usually mounted above the front cylinder where they get a good air flow. Between the cylinders is not good.
Awesome thanks for the advice!
Ended up taking the entire starter assembly out. This system Harley used is pretty down syndrome.
Second solenoid is garbage, thanks eBay.
Solenoid will absolutely not pull the plunger far enough to engage starter motor.
I'm great with electrical wiring and such, but this is stupid. The signal pole for the "pull" coil is grounded through the starter motor, but then becomes the hold coil + which is on the power out pole and grounded through the case once the plunger is pulled and main poles bridged???
Is there a retrofit out there anywhere?

The plunger and contacts in the solenoid are replaceable, there should be a ball bearing inside where the stem of the plunger bottoms out .
Same set up as early Chrysler starters , the plunger disk and contacts are about 1/16 or more thick and flat when new.
Pull off the 4 bolt cover to inspect, you can take them to a starter alternator rebilder and they should be able to match them up.

The plunger and contacts in the solenoid are replaceable, there should be a ball bearing inside where the stem of the plunger bottoms out .
Same set up as early Chrysler starters , the plunger disk and contacts are about 1/16 or more thick and flat when new.
Pull off the 4 bolt cover to inspect, you can take them to a starter alternator rebilder and they should be able to match them up.
Oh well this likely explains my situation. I didn't see anything about a ball bearing anywhere, and didn't see it in any of the youtube videos
Any idea what the dimension of the bearing should be?

Attachments

• 20210831_220555.jpg
    20210831_220555.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
I'll look at the pile of starters at the shop to see if I have the right style and confirm my ball bearing statement.
Was the plunger disk and contacts new? And the insulators for the contacts in place?

Screenshot_20210902-195914_Chrome.jpg
Only had the pin and ball fall out the body when I tipped the starter too far.
So if you have the plunger removed, use a magnet to see if it is there.

Ended up being the starter mechanism being assembled incorrectly. Everything works as intended now!
Getting cranked it over to get oil flowing, unfortunately I started to get a heavy jet of oil out of the vent infront of the front sprocket, also leaks out of pushrod tube. Ended up re-sealing all of them.
Will be doing ignition wiring soon!

Attachments

• 20210919_140900.jpg
    20210919_140900.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
Back