free website stats program 74 Sportster XLH | Harley Davidson Forums

74 Sportster XLH

Jo Roun

So I did a thing...
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask such a broad question, but I was wondering if I could get some help on this one.
I just purchased this sportster that is pretty much torn apart. My question to the forum, is where do I start on this?
I'd love to get it back on the road before the end of the riding season (utah), but don't know a thing about Harleys, let alone old ones!
I'm a 14year automotive tech so I'm not worried about the wrenching bits, I'd say I need some guidance from someone with experience, I want this bike to be put together right!

So with all of that said, I'll give you the back story on it.
It was this guys wife's, fathers project from something like 30 years ago.
I was told the engine had just been freshly rebuilt all those years ago, but who knows...
I believe most of the parts are in the various boxes I got with it, but pretty much all of the chrome and metal is pitted or rusted.
I don't have a huge budget for it, but will definitely do what needs to be done!

Attachments

• 20210813_190154_HDR.jpg
    20210813_190154_HDR.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 24
Welcome to the forum, 1st and foremost get the manual for that year model.
You came to the right place for guidance but you have a big job on your hands.
Take your time and do it right but I think getting it going by the end of this riding season is a bit optimistic.

Good luck.

Besides the obvious like rebuild the carb drain all the fluids and flush before adding new. You said the engine was rebuilt some 30 years ago? Does it turn over by hand? Before you fire it up or turn it over for that matter squirt some oil in the cylinders. What's the wiring look like? You may need to rewire some areas if not the whole thing.
Using the manual for that year and model make a checklist to see what you have and what you need.

I'm sure others will chime in with other suggestions.
Good luck and keep us updated.

Hey thanks! I was told he had briefly turned the engine over be hand and it moved smoothly, I'll be doing that later..
I will be looking to install an electronic ignition kit on it before I attempt to run it. Does anyone have any input on a reputable kit?
I've only seen one so far, it doesn't look to be all that reliable from what I can tell. ( Ultima signal fire)
I was also looking into possibly using a newer, more modern front tripple and shock setup instead of rebuild the old one...

A little update.. Pulled the plugs and checked the pistons and cylinder walls. The engine looks absolutely perfect inside!
Definitely had a rebuild!
The spark plugs look like they are brand new, I doubt it was ever fired over!
Mocked up a few parts to see what I am missing.
Also ordered a carb kit and electronic ignition!
Looking for forward controls for a left hand brake setup, anyone know of a kit?

Attachments

• 20210815_181606.jpg
    20210815_181606.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 20210815_182636_HDR.jpg
    20210815_182636_HDR.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 18
Cranked it over today, unfortunately the starter solenoid is shot. Ordered a new one so we should be back in business mid-week or so.
Made of some stainless oil lines, and will be adding a remote oil filter. Any suggestions on a kit?
Probably will end up just making one if I can't find one.
Trying to decide on where to mount the coil, are there any issues with heat mounting it close to the engine, or between the cylinders?

Attachments

• 20210822_172716_HDR.jpg
    20210822_172716_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210822_172807_HDR.jpg
    20210822_172807_HDR.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 13
Back