free website stats program 6speed tranny oil change | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

6speed tranny oil change

Here's a response I got from a quick Google search about Redline Shockproof in transmissions. I asked HD about using full syn 20-50 engine oil in all three holes, and that is what they recommend. I thought about using the Redline, but I think I'll continue to shop around.

"REDLINE SHOCKPROOF There are concerns about using REDLINE SHOCKPROOF type gear oils inside manual transmissions. While this is truly an excellent product, it has been found that the heavy Teflon-like particles are quickly centrifuged out of the oil and will build up inside the center diff housing and around the synchronizers and inside of the gearshafts. After several oil changes this build up may block oiling passages inside the gearshafts that lubricate the needle bearings and can reduce the overall effectiveness of the synchronizers, leading to poor shift quality. Also this oil is has too high of a viscosity for winter use. Therefore we do not suggest using SHOCKPROOF in the transmission unless the transmission is to be serviced often or a dog box."
I don't believe any of the above problems exist... I have used Shockproof in my trannys and Never any build-up, many years and bikes... No such thing happened to the oil.

Shockproof is Not to be used where Lube is PUMPED.

Dave at redline says that it would still be good IF you change it at 40,000 miles INSTEAD of 20,000 of which Now HD says to change the tranny... BUT said He would follow HD's suggested changes..

Some off the net:

RedLine ShockProof is a revolutionary lubricant with a chemistry that significantly reduces the thinning effect inherent in conventional lubricant technology. Red Line ShockProof Gear Oils offer multiple oil film layers between gear teeth with absolutely no throw-off. Temperatures are dramatically reduced through unparalled gear tooth shock loading protection. The Heavy can be rated as a 75W250 Gear Oil, but has the lower internal fluid friction of a 75W90 oil. This weight is well suited for high horsepower and high-shock applications such as GT1, Trans-Am, and rallye cars.

Red Line heavy ShockProof gear oil is a unique lubricant containing a suspension of solid microscopic particles as an extreme pressure agent. It provides a unique solid dispersion, which cushions gear teeth to help prevent tooth breakage and allows the use of lower viscosities. The viscosity characteristics allow the lubricant to resist throw-off and provide a film thickness similar to a 75W250 grade, while providing the same low fluid friction as an SAE 75W90. This gear oil is recommended for heavily loaded racing differentials and transmissions, off-road racing, and problem gearboxes.

signed....BUBBIE

I can't remember what brand of oil BUBBIE uses in his motorcycle, can anyone help me out? Seems that he is passionate about it though.

My rule of thumb:

- Engine oil is for motor
- Gear oil is for transmission

Your tranny probably ran hot/thin & created a little wear...good job changing to Spectro. any good GO's better than motor oil so run thru next sched check & yes - definitely look @ dipstick for wear. They've been known to break off - which is bad.

Back