free website stats program 6speed tranny oil change | Harley Davidson Forums

6speed tranny oil change

hi guy's have a question on brass looking particules in oil when i changed trans fluid .not big chunk's just fine piece's floating suspended in oil . drain magnet had no significant metal shaving's on it looked normal . normal wear or something to look at ? oil had arond 5-6 thousand on it . was using mobil1 v-twin 20w50 in it after reading post in forum i switched to spectro for 6 speed.

Too much of any noticable metals are not a good thing. Keep check on it at the next change and see if there is more to be found. I'm not crazy about the 6 speeds verses the 5 speeds. They are a weaker transmission IMO.

hi guy's have a question on brass looking particules in oil when i changed trans fluid .not big chunk's just fine piece's floating suspended in oil . drain magnet had no significant metal shaving's on it looked normal . normal wear or something to look at ? oil had arond 5-6 thousand on it . was using mobil1 v-twin 20w50 in it after reading post in forum i switched to spectro for 6 speed.

You PROBABLY found the source of the problem(hoping)..

GEAR OIL is Needed as IT isn't a motor you are lubing...

The tranny Takes Gear Oil..

I would Not be surprised IF the good stuff,,, Made For a Tranny,,, takes care of your soft metal showing up in it.

You are not alone as MANY seem to USE the WRONG lubes in their HD's..

I don't like to TRY lubes, I stick with the PROVEN WINNERS..

Once said here on HDT, """Didn't know Oils were like a Religion""".
Many different and many different opinions on which one is right..

You have made a good choice in the tranny lube.... It May Not be the "Only" good one but a Lot better than the engine oil you first started with..IMO....

Myself, I used Redline Shockproof Heavy and have not seen any soft or hard metals in my 09 FLHR..:s

signed....BUBBIE

no excuses brain fade i guess ,works great now . smoother shifting doesn't jerk or lag. hope we are on the road to sucess! thanks all for your input!

Here's a response I got from a quick Google search about Redline Shockproof in transmissions. I asked HD about using full syn 20-50 engine oil in all three holes, and that is what they recommend. I thought about using the Redline, but I think I'll continue to shop around.

"REDLINE SHOCKPROOF There are concerns about using REDLINE SHOCKPROOF type gear oils inside manual transmissions. While this is truly an excellent product, it has been found that the heavy Teflon-like particles are quickly centrifuged out of the oil and will build up inside the center diff housing and around the synchronizers and inside of the gearshafts. After several oil changes this build up may block oiling passages inside the gearshafts that lubricate the needle bearings and can reduce the overall effectiveness of the synchronizers, leading to poor shift quality. Also this oil is has too high of a viscosity for winter use. Therefore we do not suggest using SHOCKPROOF in the transmission unless the transmission is to be serviced often or a dog box."

Constant Mesh transmissions suffer alot of abuse IMO and deserve the best Gear Oil one can afford:s

Back