free website stats program 5th gear noise | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

5th gear noise

I am sorry if I did not take him seriously but the posted sound like it was phony to me we all know there is a 5th gear noise. It is not that bad and with good lube you need really good hearing to notice it.
There seems to be a lot of newer Hd riders that expect a motorcycle to be like a new car, they are not. Hd are big Vtwin air cooled engines they have gear boxes not automatics.
Look at the post Glider put up Bad parts notice some thing seems most of us had our issues delt with well by HD.
I often wonder if I live in a differnt world when I hear and read about some of the how bad Hd bikes and dealers are I have never seen much of it. I have seen people I know trash the bike with bad mods, poor indy work then blame HD.
I will try to be more understanding of others issues next time.
The Amsoil thing still gets me the first time I read his post I though here come amsoil

Yeah I wonder if anyone here has ridden a pan, a shovel, an Evo, an Iron Head Sportster.... If you have had any of those experiences... a twin cam is a walk in the park... Honestly the EVO was the savior... the twin cam just refines it. Not that its without issue. I have just had mine repaired. But just try to ride a 58 panhead, and compare that to your twin cam... 5th gear noise? huh? your kidding right? Clutch handle what ? Vibration? You cannot be serious??? My Evo had open belt drive.... thats alotta noise... Iron head sportster that would end up in the pick up more often than not.... Check out the 80's dressers vs your own y2k+ dressers... the difference is remarkable in my book.

I'm sure he found that helpful.

I don't understand why you say that. I was not absolutely sure all the gear ratio's are the same from the old to the new gear box. If they are not, them a new ECM download would be required. If they are the same, then I have no idea why a new download would be necessary.
I don't have both service manuals to compare the ratio's.

Hoop!

My guess would be because the 6th gear light would not come on without it.

The 6th gear light "ON" is done within the ECM and not just a simple trans fork switch. The ECM compares engine RPM to ground speed (MPH) and desides that you must be in 6th and turns the light "ON". Great way to do it. Only problem is you MUST have the EXACT sprockets, pinions and trans ratios to make it all work, hense the ECM re-load.
If the different gears were off just slightly in ratio, the light would never come on.

This may be the reason. Just a guess.

Hoop!

You had me going for awhile there. The sixth gear lite has nothing to do with fifth gears. You are in six gear and they are two other gears.

Yeah I wonder if anyone here has ridden a pan, a shovel, an Evo, an Iron Head Sportster.... If you have had any of those experiences... a twin cam is a walk in the park... Honestly the EVO was the savior... the twin cam just refines it. Not that its without issue. I have just had mine repaired. But just try to ride a 58 panhead, and compare that to your twin cam... 5th gear noise? huh? your kidding right? Clutch handle what ? Vibration? You cannot be serious??? My Evo had open belt drive.... thats alotta noise... Iron head sportster that would end up in the pick up more often than not.... Check out the 80's dressers vs your own y2k+ dressers... the difference is remarkable in my book.

I had a 1960 XLCH in 1962 that would lift the front wheel in third gear. It shook and leaked oil. Had to carry a cresent wrench to tighten the bolts when I stopped. It had a 3/4 cam and took a half hour of kick starting to get it going.

It did not cost $18k out the door.

It did not cost $18k out the door.

Quite true... and it didnt have a cd player, abs, yada yada yada.... all relative in my book.... I wonder what that sportster cost new? Any Idea?

*****1962*****
Median Family Income in $6000
New Car $2500
Gallon of Gas $0.31
New House $15,000

Quite true... and it didnt have a cd player, abs, yada yada yada.... all relative in my book.... I wonder what that sportster cost new? Any Idea?

*****1962*****
Median Family Income in $6000
New Car $2500
Gallon of Gas $0.31
New House $15,000

I have a Heritage softail so just have saddlebags and a windshield. I could not afford a new one back then as you could not get credit.

I bought it for $400 cash from a sailor that was shipping out. There was no "Median Family Income" as the man of the house worked and the women stayed home and baked pies and cookies.

IMG_0505.jpg

RedLine ShockProof will quiet the whine in the transmission enough to make it bearable. I somewhat disagree with your assessment that H-D "wouldn't or couldn't" design something like that. I worked for GM for thirty years and believe me these companies can and do design half (EDITED) products. (i.e, 1980 chevy citation)

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem as I see it with the HD design is they tried to manufacturer the trans/gears to save money and it backfired on them. I find it hard to believe they tested this design for 100,000 miles before releasing it to the public then in the following year installed the IDS on all touring bikes to quiet it down some. This tells me a lot about the company.

The trap door on these transmissions has flex in it and isn't up to the job. If you look at products like the Baker transmissions and parts, they have a fix for these problems.:s

Back