free website stats program 5th gear noise | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

5th gear noise

I don't know how bad the 5th gear whine is on 09 and older but my 2010 E/G classic has no whine in 5th. The new helical cut gear is better/quite. What I do know is that 1st gear certainly has a whine. I have been searching for the Spectro lube but have not found it locally but I will get it soon.

Harley now uses a quiet helical 5th gear in its 2010 models. Unfortunately for customers of 2009 and earlier models, Harley has no plans to make this helical gear retrofit those bikes. It would be easy to do. But it would require an ECM mod/download in addition to changing the gear. And I guess that's too much trouble for them to bother with.

Ok back to real world, we all know the 6 speed has a bit of a 5th gear noise, but it is no were near what it has been trumped up to be.
The proper lube does reduce it and case of my bike it is gone

I just bought an 09 Heritage on Aug. 31. The noise in 5th gear was very loud and annoying. The dealer let me test drive an 09 rental and it just had a small whine in 5th gear. It seems the noise varies a lot between bikes? The dealer said they could not tear it down because of noise.

I called HD Customer Service and they told me to get a second opinion from another dealer. Told my dealer what HD said and they said they would take care of it.

They replaced the countershaft assembly, gear 5th, input shaft and retaining rings and gaskets. I just have a small whining noise in 5th which is not bad and I can live with. I also had a loud whining noise in 1st. which went away when they replaced 5th?

Harley now uses a quiet helical 5th gear in its 2010 models. Unfortunately for customers of 2009 and earlier models, Harley has no plans to make this helical gear retrofit those bikes. It would be easy to do. But it would require an ECM mod/download in addition to changing the gear. And I guess that's too much trouble for them to bother with.

Because of the way the helical gear is cut, it requires a thrust washer. So it not that easy to fit into an existing transmission case.

Don't know why you say it requires an ECM mod?

Don't know why you say it requires an ECM mod?

My guess would be because the 6th gear light would not come on without it.

The 6th gear light "ON" is done within the ECM and not just a simple trans fork switch. The ECM compares engine RPM to ground speed (MPH) and desides that you must be in 6th and turns the light "ON". Great way to do it. Only problem is you MUST have the EXACT sprockets, pinions and trans ratios to make it all work, hense the ECM re-load.
If the different gears were off just slightly in ratio, the light would never come on.

This may be the reason. Just a guess.

Hoop!

Last edited:
I bought my 07 UC knowing all the hoopla about "5th Gear Noise" and I was really amazed that it wasn't worse than it is,I hardly notice it now after a couple thousand miles. I was actually worried that it might be an issue that would keep me off a sixer. I understand the mechanics of energy transmission and it can't happen without some type of sound being generated. I have indicators for 1st,(Roar) 5th(Whine),and 6th(Light) when is HD gonna design us one for 2nd,3rd and 4th??? Shut up and ride.

My guess would be because the 6th gear light would not come on without it.

The 6th gear light "ON" is done within the ECM and not just a simple trans fork switch. The ECM compares engine RPM to ground speed (MPH) and desides that you must be in 6th and turns the light "ON". Great way to do it. Only problem is you MUST have the EXACT sprockets, pinions and trans ratios to make it all work, hense the ECM re-load.
If the different gears were off just slightly in ratio, the light would never come on.

This may be the reason. Just a guess.

Hoop!

The gear ratio is the comparison of the gear diameters. It has nothing to do with how the gears are cut.

They should be the same diameter regardless if straight cut or helical cut.

Back