free website stats program 5 speed vs. 6 speed | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

5 speed vs. 6 speed

I don't know which tranny is the best, but I know which one I like best, the 5 speed. I've had both on two different Ultras, 04 and 09, and with the 6 speed I had to "slip" the clutch more to get took off. With the 5, I could almost take off without even giving it any fuel. 5th gear whined in the 6 sp, and I hated that, since I was rarely up to a good speed to go into 6th.

Glad to be reading this thread. I've got a 5 speed on my Ultra and my buddy has a six speed on his "08 Ultra. I just assumed ( and you know what assumed did :D ) that the six speed was an improvement over the 5 speed. I don't have any complaints about the five speed other than the fact that I seem to be "hunting" for the right gear when we are cruising along some back road at around 40 miles per hour. If I were riding by myself without the group i would pick my speed up to 45 miles per hour and my tach would then read 2,200 rpm's but at 40 mph I fall below 2,000 rpm and have to downshift.

I don't know which tranny is the best, but I know which one I like best, the 5 speed. I've had both on two different Ultras, 04 and 09, and with the 6 speed I had to "slip" the clutch more to get took off. With the 5, I could almost take off without even giving it any fuel. 5th gear whined in the 6 sp, and I hated that, since I was rarely up to a good speed to go into 6th.

Wonder why that would be ? Is the gear ratio of 1st (in the 6 speed) higher than in the 5 speed ?

Unless possibly the EFI has a bit of take off lag compared to carbed.

Over all gear rotios indicate number of engine revolutions required to drive rear wheel one revolution.

2006 five speed

First 10.110
Second 6.958
Third 4.953
Fourth 3.862
Fifth 3.150

2011 six speed

First 9.311
Second 6.454
Third 4.793
Fourth 3.882
Fifth 3.307
Sixth 2.790

I dug this out of the service manuals and thought it was interesting to see the way they changed the ratios to accommodate the extra gear and added power of the larger engine.
Charlies Harley put this on a post.. Thanks Charley...

Like read above= answers..

signed....BUBBIE

Back