free website stats program 5 speed vs. 6 speed | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

5 speed vs. 6 speed

i have never owned a six speed but i have rode a bike with one. i did a 5,000 mile trip (almost all interstate speeds) and the five speed trani did just fine. i think a six speed would work better only for the high speeds. i have no problems with the 5 speed and it has over 41,000 miles on it

I agree with your thinking. In order for the 6 speed to be "comfortable" you need at least 65-70 MPH before shifting into 6th gear so the engine RPM's aren't too low.

I wonder if the usage of no six gear below 60 mph helps in reducing the wear factor?? For there is minimal load on trans at that speed.

I wonder if the usage of no six gear below 60 mph helps in reducing the wear factor?? For there is minimal load on trans at that speed.

You HIT the nail on the head...:newsmile055:

LUGGING is the Most Wearing on all HD parts, IMHO

Keep-eem revved:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

Knock on wood I have over 38K on my six speed with no problems. Most of my riding is highway tho. Living fifty miles out of Las Vegas and a four lane to town helps.

Alot of good info here, especially from Glider as to the design of the 6 speed. For me my 5 speed does just fine, 50,00miles with no issues, cruises at 65 to 70 with no strain. I know there are riders that constantly cruise above the speed limit, they pass me all the time & I just wave, not faulting them, their ride, they can ride like they want. If I was in the market for a new ride I wouldn't let the transmission dictate what I bought, however I wouldn't change my trans. or get a new ride just to get a 6 speed.

At least for right now, most of the miles I put on my bike are highway. So, when I'm there, I'm typically crusing at 75-80. I'm just always concerned that the engine is working too hard. Maybe instead of getting a new ride, I should just put a big bore kit in it.

Over all gear rotios indicate number of engine revolutions required to drive rear wheel one revolution.

2006 five speed

First 10.110
Second 6.958
Third 4.953
Fourth 3.862
Fifth 3.150

2011 six speed

First 9.311
Second 6.454
Third 4.793
Fourth 3.882
Fifth 3.307
Sixth 2.790

I dug this out of the service manuals and thought it was interesting to see the way they changed the ratios to accomadate the extra gear and added power of the larger engine.

i have never owned a six speed but i have rode a bike with one. i did a 5,000 mile trip (almost all interstate speeds) and the five speed trani did just fine. i think a six speed would work better only for the high speeds. i have no problems with the 5 speed and it has over 41,000 miles on it

I agree with your thinking. In order for the 6 speed to be "comfortable" you need at least 65-70 MPH before shifting into 6th gear so the engine RPM's aren't too low.

Having recently gone from the 5 speed to the 6 speed, I have to agree with Glider here. Unless you plan on cruising at 75 mph, the 6th gear really isn't necessary. (JMO here). Our speed limit is 65 on the highway, so I usually don't get much past 72. 6th gear just didn't feel right until I really cranked it up, so I typically stay in 5th.

I actually caught myself passing 80 on the highway more often on the deuce. :D It had some kind of throttle issue, very intermittent, and I think the speedo was off because the bike always felt really happy at those speeds, I really don't think it was 85 and 90 on those days. :D My nephew recommended that I check my right wrist for a problem, it checked out okay......:p

I got SPOILED on my 2000 FXDS, as I installed a rev-tech 6 speed gear set in the HD tranny case and Loved that. so when i went to the 09 FLHR I was already there.

Knowing HD has a little Improvement to be made on the 6's yet, in time they Might be as Bullet-proof as the 5's.

signed....BUBBIE

Could not agree more, When we first got the 5 speed we were amazed, tho they had some problems early on, with Baker making improvements the MOCO will step up and refine the 6 speed and Wait for it Bubbie some day maybe a factory 7 speed like Baker now has JMO:s

Back