free website stats program 48 States- Leg 2 | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

48 States- Leg 2

Sorry about the fall Jake. I'm glad you're ok though. I know it goes without saying but you are going to have some serious cleaning to do on the bike when you get back. :D Thanks again for all the pics, I think they are awesome.

Monday 6/22

Took some this morning in Fallon, NV to clean the bike up. It was filthy after all of the rain I‘ve run into. There was no evidence of any damage from my mishap yesterday. I really think today will be clear sailing.

I think what I’m in now can officially be called desert. It will be mostly the same until I leave Reno and get back into the mountains. I jumped on I-80 at Fernley, NV. No desire for 20 miles of traffic.

Through Reno, and up US 395 into CA.
IMG_0308.jpg

Hallelujah Junction, my stepping off point for the CA backwoods.
IMG_0310.jpg

I head west on CA 70. This is farming country in the mountains. I love the valleys surrounded by mountains. Pastoral to say the least.
IMG_0312.jpg

Well, I have now been officially lost while using my GPS. It tried to cut across from CA 70 to US 36, heading for Lassen Volcanic Nat Park. After 5 miles it turned into a dirt road, that was supposed to be 5 miles long. I did get to another paved road, but the GPS then wanted me to turn onto another dirt road. Need to check the programming, it is not supposed to do that. I followed the paved road for about 40 miles before it finally came out on US 395, just north of Honey Lake. There was not a single marker on this road. However, it was a beautiful side trip. Even the area that had been burnt was otherworldly appealing.
IMG_0314.jpg
IMG_0313.jpg

Once back on 395, it was through Susanville and onto US 36 towards Lassen. On the way, you pass lake Almanor, worth a stop and see.
IMG_0317.jpg

I haven’t been to Lassen for a while, but it is very beautiful. High mountains, still a lot of snow, big trees and good roads. This is a ride to enjoy. However, be careful while going over Mt Lassen itself, this is a high road, no guard rails, steep drop offs, etc. Beautiful, but dangerous if you don’t pay attention. This is Mt Lassen from Hwy 36.
IMG_0318.jpg
IMG_0319.jpg
IMG_0320.jpg

This is the trail leading to the top of Mt Lassen. You can see 2 people coming down, about midway. The trail starts at the back window of the blue car.
IMG_0321.jpg

My picnic spot just before leaving the park.
IMG_0322.jpg

This last picture is of Mt Shasta, taken from Burney, CA, about 40 miles away. This is one of my favorite sights in CA.
IMG_0323.jpg

I finished up at the Burney Post Office for some more ABC points, then headed to the Burney Falls State Park for the night.

Sorry to hear of your fall - glad you and the bike are fine. My question.. how are you getting the photos of yourself? Did you bring a tripod with you or are you lucky to find some stranger on these lonely roads? Keep going!!!

hjt

Still really enjoying your story! If you're 3 1/2 days ahead of schedule, you may want to cut back on the mileage for a day or two and really give yourself a chance to rest and relax. Soak in a hotel hot tub or get a massage somewhere. The pictures and stories are fascinating but it does sound like you're really pushing it. However, you're the best judge of that - ride safe!

Tuesday 6/23

To answer a question recently asked; yes, I carry a small tripod that fits in my saddlebag.

Broke camp and hit the road at 0615 this morning. At 0620, stopped and put on my chaps and balaclava. What is it about the mountains that makes you think it is warmer than it really is?
IMG_0325.jpg

I left Burney this morning heading west on US 299.This is a nice cruising road, set your speed at 50 to 55 and only have to drop it 3 or 4 times on the way to Redding. In Redding, I stopped at Russell Cycle Products to look at the ‘All Day Saddle‘. I liked what I saw, so had them take their pictures and fill out the order form. Will send them the seat this winter so they can modify. Maybe my rear will stop hurting on these all day rides.

I left Redding, still on US 299 west. Passing Whiskeytown Lake (nice rec area), I made my way to Lewiston, CA. I used to spend time here when I fished the Trinity River. The Old Lewiston Hotel was owned by a lady who made her money as a jazz singer. Her ‘Mad Brit’ husband ran the bar, and her mom cooked for the restaurant. Great place to hang out. Unfortunately, they do not open until 1600, so I do not know if any of the above is still true.
IMG_0326.jpg
IMG_0327.jpg

I also discovered that Lewiston now has a winery, been there for 4 or 5 years. One Maple Vineyards is about 3 or 4 miles out of town; small, but does have some decent wines. Note my signature at the end of each post.
IMG_0328.jpg

Continuing on US 299, I was following the Trinity River Canyon. This is a great river, salmon, steelhead, and trout are the major fish. Tubing and prospecting for gold are also very big. There are literally dozens of campgrounds along the way to the coast, and several gas stops are available. Beautiful road, good scenery, services, what more could you ask for?
IMG_0331.jpg

This is about 20 miles from the coast as the crow flies. I dropped off this mountain, crossed the creek in the valley, and climbed the other side. As soon as I started down the other side, the 90 degree heat started to disappear. It wasn’t long before the cooling vest went. Five more miles and the cover went on the mesh jacket. Then I stopped again and put on a sweatshirt under the jacket. By the time I was at the coast, the temp was in the high 50’s.
IMG_03331.jpg

Well, here it is boys and girls, the Pacific Ocean in all its glory. I didn’t even drop the bike in the sand (came close though).
IMG_0335.jpg

I headed up the coast from Eureka on US 101, towards the Redwood Forests and Crescent City. Man, are those some big trees.
IMG_0336.jpg

Approaching Klamoth, CA, I had to stop an get a picture of the bears (4 total) that guard the bridge over the Klamoth River. I always get a lift in my spirits when I see them.
IMG_0337.jpg

On the north side of Klamoth is the biggest rendition of Paul and Babe that I have ever seen. I just love it when they pop into view.
IMG_0338.jpg

Just before reaching Crescent City, you come upon this beach with the small sea stacks and the massive rock formation on the point. The further north you go, the more you see of this and the more dramatic the appearance. However, I was going to turn inland prior to that.
IMG_0340.jpg

North of Crescent City I got on US 199 to start working east to get back to my original path. I crossed into Oregon (ABC points Tom) and called it quits for the night in Grants Pass, OR. Note that the temp had come back up as I headed inland.
IMG_0341.jpg

Oh yeah, no rain all day !!!

Jake
Let see one of your camp sites, with tent all setup, Let see just how rough it is out on the road
It looks like you are having fun. Look forward more posting

Wednesday 6/24

Took it easy this morning, got up at 0700, then went to the Laundromat to wash my scuzzy clothes. Finally hit the road about 1000. I-5 south to Gold Hill, then OR 234 heading north-east, changing to OR 62, the Crater Lake Hwy. As I went through Shady Cove, OR, I saw this moose by the side of the road, had to have a picture.
IMG_0342.jpg

Heading into Crater Lake Nat Park, I started seeing snow at 5500 feet. At 6000 feet, I pulled over, put the shell back on the jacket, and added the sweatshirt. As I got to the top and saw the lake, all I could say was WOW!
IMG_0351.jpg

Here’s the real picture of the lake.
IMG_0352.jpg

I rode the west rim road around the lake and then out the north entrance. Then west towards Bend, OR. About 10 miles outside of Bend, you run into the Lava Land. Lots of exposed lava fields that reminded me of the Craters of the Moon area in Idaho.
IMG_0355.jpg

After Bend, I saw this mountain to the north west. I think it’s Mt Hood, but not absolutely sure.
IMG_0359.jpg

Got the inevitable stop for road construction.
IMG_0360.jpg

The terrain changes constantly through Oregon. These are just a few views in the sequence I ran into them..
IMG_0354.jpg
IMG_0356.jpg
IMG_0361.jpg
IMG_0373.jpg

Stopped for the night in Dayville, OR. Two Canadian Bikers and one British bicyclist were at the campground. Swapped lies and had some cold ones.
IMG_0376.jpg

Back