free website stats program 48 States- Leg 2 | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

48 States- Leg 2

Keep going Jake and break my chapter ABC record why don't you....glad to see someone is finding out the fun side of the program.....taking you to places you would never go to otherwise. Tom.

Jake great job, i look forward to seeing and hearing more.
How many days do you plan to be on the road.
I see a lot of guy's what to do this including me, It you take a month will you get around the state
Ride Safe
"O" NICE Bike

Friday 06/19

Had to wait until I got to a McDonald's to post, no internet last night.

Well, I got my wish about it cooling down some. When I woke up this morning in Mogote CO it was 35 degrees. Broke camp and got out of there. Full leathers and I was still cold. I was on CO 17, heading for Chama, NM.
IMG_0240.jpg

I went over La Manga pass, GPS said it was 10,246 feet. My ‘I already know it’s hot’ gage is also redundant on the other end of the scale, it read 32 degrees at the summit. Don’t know how accurate it is, but my posterior was blue. I stopped at a sunny turnout on the other side to let the sun beat into my black leather without the wind. Yes, that’s snow in the picture
IMG_0241.jpg
IMG_0242.jpg

In spite of the cold, this is a stunningly beautiful road. Arrived in Chama, NM, and stayed for a while. Ate breakfast, got my ABC picture and warmed up. US 64 heading west out of Chama is another recommended road. Nice easy curves after the first summit. Averaged 50 mpg into Farmington, NM since it is downhill all the way. Mountains, rivers, deer, high plains. Sometimes you just need a wakeup call to remember how beautiful this country is.
IMG_0245.jpg

Navaho Dam is the source of the San Juan River, a world class trout fishery in the middle of the high desert east of Farmington.
IMG_0249.jpg

Continuing east, you will see Shiprock. So named because the early pioneers in the area thought it looked like an old ship under sail.
IMG_0250.jpg

Next is the Four Corners Monument. This is the exact spot that NM, AZ, CO and UT come together. You get to take the mandatory picture, then browse the shops.
IMG_0254.jpg

Into AZ proper, the variance in the landscape is amazing. This particular rock formation is called Church Rock.
IMG_02581.jpg

After leaving Lake Powell and Page, AZ behind, you pass through this amazing narrow canyon. The effect when riding through is almost breath taking.
IMG_0260.jpg

Crossed over the Colorado River at Lee’s Ferry, and called it a night at the Marble Canyon Lodge.

This makes 4 days, only 26 more to go. I have been getting ahead of schedule, currently 2 days. Since I saw the Atlantic Ocean in April on the Southern Loop, it only seemed fair to reach the Pacific on this trip. I will only be about 200 miles away as I go through Northern California. What do you say, Coast-to-Coast this year?

I was asked if Leg 1 was documented on the forum. Alas, no it was not. I did not join the forum until after returning from Leg 1.

Saturday 6/20

Slept in this morning, didn’t get started until 0800. Ah, the lap of luxury.:p

Went to the bridge over Marble Canyon, at the foot of one of the pilings, was what appeared to be a baby condor. You can see the tag on his right wing.
IMG_0262.jpg

AS you drive away from Marble Canyon, you see these incredible red cliffs on the right. They go on for miles.
IMG_0265.jpg

0845, put on the rain suit (for the first time :lolrolling) as I could see I was riding into it. Got wet by the time I was dressed.
IMG_0266.jpg

As I entered the canyon on 89A, the rain started getting heavy, and the temperature started dropping. Starting at 70 degrees, as I headed up to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, it dropped to the low 40’s. As I entered the park, the rain had stopped, but it didn’t warm up. Could be the almost 9000 foot elevation.

Entry into the Grand Canyon is now $25/car, $12/motorcycle, getting higher all the time. Luckily for me, I purchased a senior pass for $10, and can use it at all of the parks I visit. On of the few bennies of being old. :bigsmiley24:

The Grand Canyon is as awesome as ever. I have always seen it from the South Rim before. But now believe that the grass is greener on the North Rim.
IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

Coming down out of the park to Kanab, UT, I dropped almost 5000 feet elevation. The temperature came up to the 70’s, and the rain suit came off. Was able to get an AZ county, UT, Kanab, and a UT county for my ABC’s in quick succession. For Tom of the Tuckessee Chapter; yes, I will probably break your record. Stopped at Mickey D’s for lunch and to upload yesterday’s pictures.

Left Kanab on 89 North. The temperature immediately started dropping, and the clouds closed in. Played tag with the rain for the rest of the day. Red Canyon, 14 miles before Bryce Canyon, is a magic ride.
IMG_0285.jpg

Powell Point is a major landmark, dominating the area. It was a landmark survey point by the Powell Expedition.
IMG_0286.jpg

This cliff face was supposedly used by the Fremont Indians as granarys a thousand years ago.
IMG_0288.jpg

After multiple times, I finally left the rain suit on and rode, looking for a place for the night. Because of the rain, I was not going to pitch a tent. The only ATM I found was broken, and the only affordable rooms were full. I wound up in Bicknell, UT on Hwy 24. A long ride in some nasty weather, but once again, the roads were fantastic and worth it! :cheers

RetiredJake...thank you for the nice pictures and posts. Really wish I had found this thread earlier and...

Like many of the others' have said, wish there was time in my working schedule and do what your signature line says..."Roaming the country, Tasting the wine, having fun...and yes... LIFE IS GOOD! Cheers and enjoy! :cheers

Jake,

Thanks for the pics. You are leaving quite a legacy for your kids and grandkids and reminding everyone indeed just how beautiful this great country of ours is. God speed.

Jake, thanks for taking us along on your adventure. I just wish I didn't have to work so long to retirement. :D I would make a great retiree now. :) Keep having fun & doing what we all want to do someday.

Sunday 6/21

Had to post at McDonalds again this morning. Second time a motel has told me they have WiFi, but it doesn't work.

Left Bicknell, UT about 0730, continuing west. Once I got out of the mountains, the temperature rose to about 60 degrees, and hovered around that most of the day.

The landscape is different this morning, no heavy forests, no large rock formations, mostly open range land. Stopped in Loa, UT, to replenish my insufficient funds, and refill the tank before I have to walk.

I am heading back into the mountains, I guess that goes without saying in this part of the country.
IMG_0291.jpg

Back into flat land for a while. I guess even people in UT have to eat.
IMG_0292.jpg

Getting onto the main road I will be following for today and part of tomorrow.
IMG_0293.jpg

Heading across western UT on US 50
IMG_0294.jpg

From Hinckley, UT to the NV border, this is truly a lonely road.
IMG_0296.jpg

Crossed the NV border around noon time.
IMG_0298.jpg

From here, I headed for the Great Basin National Park. Along the way, I ran into this sign.
IMG_0301.jpg

I then entered the park, and took the road to Wheeler Peak, This is a great road, but the upper half does have some loose gravel on it. Enjoy, but do not hotrod.
IMG_0302.jpg
IMG_0303.jpg

After I left the park, I headed to Ely, NV. This is where the ‘Loneliest Road’ officially begins.
IMG_0306.jpg

Running across NV on US 50, is a series of mountain passes/summits followed by a large valley of sage brush and gentle rolling hills. Repeat this sequence about 30 times, and you will get to Fallon, NV. As I approached Eureka, NV, the thunderstorm was in progress. The road hooks north here and was headed directly into the storm. Out came the rain suit, and into the teeth of the storm I headed. About 40 miles later, I cleared the storm and had sunny skies again. Pulling off the road to get out of the rain suit, I hit a patch of deep gravel. No questions asked, no quarter given, I was down. Nothing hurt but my pride. A friendly rancher came along and helped me lift the bike up. I know all about the ‘stick your rear end in the seat and walk it up with your legs’ process, but this old body just can’t do it anymore. I should have gotten a picture of the bike while it was down, but was too flustered/mad to think straight. Anyway, this is the storm I was running from.
IMG_0304.jpg

Once I got back on the road, I couldn’t find anyplace to spend the night, and wound up riding all the way to Fallon, NV. I have got to stop earlier in the day and quit putting in so many hours. I am currently 3 ½ days ahead of schedule. Should be plenty of time to make that extra run to the coast in Northern CA.

Back