free website stats program 3000 mile round trip | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

3000 mile round trip

Everything mentioned above is good advice. In todays age of modern convienience, nothing much that a cell phone and credit card won't do for you. Of course, if you have the #'s of a few h/d dealers along the way just in case, it mighht come in handy. There was one thing that I noticed this past summer when on a 4000 mile trip. I had a pair of shoes that for some reason did not take well to all the vibration from the bike. They ended up in a garbage can at a gas station in Iowa. Never would have figured that a pair of shoes would matter comfort wise on a bike, but not more then 8 hours into the trip, and they were a memory. Have a good time!!

WOW! Looked at the link above! That is a "planner" freak's dream! Can even chose what font to print the list... LOL! I don't think there's room in my F250 for all that stuff much less in my saddlebags!!!

There is something to be said about being prepared, but a fine line between prepared and paranoid! Part of a long trip is the feeling of rolling down the road FREE from worry.

I would bring money and a cell phone and leave the rest all behind!

You only need to bring two things, Gaffa tape & WD40:
If it moves and it shouldn't use Gaffa tape.
If it's not moving and it should, use WD40

Seriously, I carry a tool kit plus some nuts 'n bolts, tie-wraps and a couple of meters of wiring. A quart of oil, spare bulbs & spark plugs.
The kit used to be larger, but I've reduced over the years to cover all exposed fasteners.
A heavy chain w/lock (ABUS Extreme, the best you can buy) is useful for more than locking the bike...

I took a 5,000 mile trip last summer and I have an 03 with 34,000 miles. I packed a tool kit and an HD touring hand book that list all the dealers and numbers on a map of the U.S. I called my insurance company and for only $7.00 a year I have free towing to the closest dealer. I had no problems and you should too.

Back