free website stats program 30,000 on an '07 | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

30,000 on an '07

That's rather disappointing on an 07 with the newer setup. They thought that would be the answer to the problem with the old tensioners.

By chance have you done anything to increase oil pressure on the bike like baisley spring or oil pump replacement for aftermarket? (fueling pump etc)
The engine is all Stock. this is the first time I've been in the cam compartment.

Well that removes the possibility of it being too much oil pressure driving the tensioners. Hopefully you have an extended warranty that should cover it and you'll be back in business again. Still want to know the cause of the tensioners wearing in such low miles.

I know it's too late but it would have been nice exactly what the oil pressure was prior to the tear down. I would also check it after rebuild.

Good thought and the reason for my other post. The possibility of an oil pump malfunction and over pressuring would drive the tensioners with greater force than designed to handle. Make it a point to verify the oil pressure after the repairs are done.

Glider, I was actually thinking possibly oil starvation also. I don't know how those chains get oiled. I was thinking a weep hole in the tensioner?
What do you think?

The tensioner gets the oil from an opening in the cam plate and that's what drives them. If anything, I would doubt oil starvation but anything is possible.

Breeze, what do you have for mileage on your bike. Ever been in the cam chest?

I only have 11k on the '07 (9k by me in the last 14 mo.). I prefer riding the Dyna when I'm doing short/local/solo rides cuz it's more responsive.
I've never beeen in the '07 cam chest, and hope to never have to. Stage 1 gave it all I need. I'm hoping this is my last Harley, but I've said that before.:D

I only have 11k on the '07 (9k by me in the last 14 mo.).

Tks Breeze. You don't have enough mileage on the bike to make it worth while to check them. If I had 20-25K on my bike, it would be worth a gasket and a few o-rings to take a look.

I could see riding habits, crank run-out and where I lived (?) having some affect on it, but to have the difference between what the OP's pictures show (tensioners shot) and what Animal claims "hardly any wear",,,I need better reasons. I don't consider 30,000 miles that much mileage. Maybe in the motorcycle world of things 30,000 miles is a lot of mileage. On a high RPM metric bike, yes 30K equals a bunch of times the engine revolved. On these low RPM engines I would have expected more.

If I had more mileage on my bike I would pull the cover to take a look but I am at 10K which is probably too early to tell.

If Animals tensioners were actually "hardly worn", there is more to this story of why this happened.

Now what Glider says about the oil pressure spring...that CERTAINLY could do it. Interesting point indeed.

Is there a "weep hole" in the tensioner system for oil to come out and provide lubrication for the chain itself.

as i said mine at 19k were starting to take chunks out i replaced them when i did the cams

Back