free website stats program 2nd Clutch Housing Down for the Count | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2nd Clutch Housing Down for the Count

Thats a good question. I have my manual so there is no need to scan and email. Thanks for offering though. But Im really not sure on the electrical stuff. That may be the answer. Cause i know in some cases if you battery dies all the way and pushing it off and driving for a while can work the charging system to hard and could possibly damage the solenoid

yea, i am about to start putting on the third one so hopefully this will do the trick. But with all of the work it takes to do it, I hope this is the last time. Floor boards, shifter, primary, seat, battery, oil pan all has to go. Its not really hard, just takes for ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i had a guy that only works on Harleys check the starter and he said that everything was good with it. So thats where I should look huh. Then thats what I will do next as opposed to replacing another basket. Any comment on why the basket that came out was freely spinning in both directions when I though they were only suppose to spin in one direction in order to turn the engine over?

IF You re-read Gliders Post....
I think he is right on that:::::The starter clutch drive(small gear on the starter shaft) IT Is not "turning out" on the Jack shaft to engage INTO the clutch outer Big starter gear......

Now IF that is the problem REplacing the clutch-gear(little)again,, ISN't what is needed...

If the Little starter clutch-gear "Engages" into the BIG ring Gear BUT doesn't turn the engine over,,,,,, Than it probably IS the new(little clutch gear) unit you just installed..

So my question is ****Does the new gear you installed,,, travel OUT on the Jack-shaft and Engage the BIG Toothed gear on the Clutch pack.... IF NOT it isn't the New gear you just installed. LOW juice or Hanging up on the shaft could be the problem..

With derby cover OFF you should be able to See IF the new part is sliding OUT Into the big ring gear .... Careful,,, A dental mirror will help and Two people..

That is Kinda what I see here.... Yes too many terms used that sound the same.... Hope I made it easy to understand MY position..

signed....BUBBIE

Well i had a guy that only works on Harleys check the starter and he said that everything was good with it. So thats where I should look huh. Then thats what I will do next as opposed to replacing another basket. Any comment on why the basket that came out was freely spinning in both directions when I though they were only suppose to spin in one direction in order to turn the engine over?

I think there is still confusion here. If you changed the clutch basket you would have had to remove the primary chain and alot of other things. BIG JOB.

To clarify, If you replaced the Starter Clutch Sub Assy 31514-94. About 100 bucks. The you did not replace the Clutch Basket.

IF New unit is Not Locking IN one direction..... Like it should....It is defective... The gear should spin ONLY in one direction(turning over the motor)... If you can turn the gear (by hand) Both ways it is defective... It does have internal Dogs that stop the gear so it turns only one direction when working properly..

make sense?

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, the little starter clutch (the new part I bought) does come out and engages into the big ring gear. Also, the little starter clutch (the new one) only spun in one direction before I put it in. Meaning I could turn it with my hand in one direction only. But after it cranked twice and then started spinning again, I disassembled and now the little starter clutch (the new one) now spins in both directions just like the old one. So I guess it is the little starter clutch and it was just a faulty part. Thanks for everyones help on this. Once I get home this evening ( i do have to goto work for a little while) I will get the new one and try it again. I will repost to this thread tomorrow. Thanks again for your help.

so it sounds like the one way bearing isnt locking one way .. i did see Spragg makes a starter clutch for HD now dont know price or where to get them but they have done heavy truck parts for years

Back