free website stats program 2nd Clutch Housing Down for the Count | Harley Davidson Forums

2nd Clutch Housing Down for the Count

gravity550

So I have a 2003 Fatboy and the other day I left my switch on and killed the battery. After that, I charged the battery and all it would do is just spin the starter so i started a thread and took everyones advice and changed the clutch housing inside starter. Got everything put back together and she cranked like a champ......three times. Then she went right back to doing like she was. Just spinning again. So does anyone know of what would cause a new clutch housing from HARLEY to go out after just three cranks? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Is it the clutch housing (any damage?) or the starter drive that's acting up. Does the drive engage with the clutch basket or just spin?

The starter drive just spins. And everything else looks good. I mean, if it was the starter drive, would it throw out a clutch that quickly?

"The clutch housing inside the starter" Confuses me.

I do not have a solution, but would like to understand what you changed. Was it the clutch housing (basket). That has the the starter ring around the outside of it? Were the teeth damaged?

Or was it part of the starter?

The teeth were fine but the clutch housing/basket (Im sorry for confusing you) is suppose to only spin one way and the old one that came off was freely spinning both and the new one that went on was spinning just one direction.

Hoople, it has not been thrown into the gear and yes it is just spinning again. But like I said, it did crank three time perfectly and then just started spinning again. Should I go so far as to replace the starter?

Last edited by a moderator:
The teeth were fine but the clutch housing/basket (Im sorry for confusing you) is suppose to only spin one way and the old one that came off was freely spinning both and the new one that went on was spinning just one direction.

I went back and read some of the original posts. So I understand better. I do not want to add confusion with my terminology. I thought you were talking about the main Clutch for the bike. To replace that clutch housing you would have had to pull the clutch out(guessing it would be pretty expensive to replace that housing). Seems the only thing that could wrong with that would be teeth get broke off the ring gear(kinda like the ring gear around a car flywheel). Unless the keyway was left out or broke. I have never been into my 04 in that area, but have on the 81(know it well) So I am learning here.

After reading the posts about the battery, etc. I would think the problem is electrical, not mechanical. Or just weird timing.

yea. the teeth on the first clutch housing were in great shape but the second one was brand new. The only thing I could think of is that the second one may have been a faulty part from the get go. I am getting another one today I guess and gonna try it again. But yea the battery is pushing 12.5 volts and the starter checked out good after testing both. So after 10 hours of labor, I am right were I started. LOL.

yea. the teeth on the first clutch housing were in great shape but the second one was brand new. The only thing I could think of is that the second one may have been a faulty part from the get go. I am getting another one today I guess and gonna try it again. But yea the battery is pushing 12.5 volts and the starter checked out good after testing both. So after 10 hours of labor, I am right were I started. LOL.

Looking at the manual, I would do the Soleniod Pull-In Test and Soliniod Hold-In Test. Both Bench Tests. I can scan and email the test if you do not have them.

If the soleniod was electrically damaged from the battery ordeal, could it cause it not to engage the starter drive correctly?

Hoople, it has not been thrown into the gear and yes it is just spinning again. But like I said, it did crank three time perfectly and then just started spinning again. Should I go so far as to replace the starter?

Nothing much wrong with the starter, it sounds more like a starter drive causing the problem by not throwing out when you hit the button to engage with the ring gear..

Back