free website stats program 2017 FXSB starting issues | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2017 FXSB starting issues

FYI, lithium batteries are great until they die.No warning of failure,just dead.Could happen anywhere, anytime.My Son had one on His 2012 Classic.Only lasted 2 years,then dead without warning.I will stick with the AGM battery.Lose the weight at the gym!
Gym?! Careful, using dirty words here gets you reported

Though if I was worried about weight I could drop 70kg odd by telling my Mrs she can't come, but I don't like to live that dangerously.

I'll loose my weight in the bathroom.

FYI, lithium batteries are great until they die.No warning of failure,just dead.Could happen anywhere, anytime.My Son had one on His 2012 Classic.Only lasted 2 years,then dead without warning.I will stick with the AGM battery.

It's a personal choice for sure but most of the quality Li batteries currently offered have built in Battery Management Systems that will prevent the type of failure your son experienced. I live in south Texas and the combined effect of high compression and heat will kill an AGM battery in a couple of years, even if kept on a tender pushed me to lithium. Nothing worse than having an AGM battery go south, without warning, on a hot July afternoon in the Texas hill country. Push starting a Harley is near impossible and jump starting is a PITA and you better not shut her down until you get home. Won't happen with my Anti Gravity lithium battery. I will never go back to lead acid batteries.;)

Just make sure your doing the load test on a fully charged battery.

In my opinion after a couple load tests with minimal drop on the meter your good to go.

Having said that I just reread your post and I see your scoot is a 2017, it may be time for a new battery. Give the Load test a whirl and see what you think.

Ok, development.

So I've put a new lithium ion phosphate battery in there, found a tender charger that suits that battery (which took to much research and to many phone calls), started keeping it on charge now and all is well.

Thats all happened in the last couple days, yesterday I unplugged the charger (from a fully charged battery) to roll out out of the workshop to free up some space and left it outside for a couple hours. Then when I went to bring it back inside lo and behold it didn't start . I thought I must've buggered a new battery somehow, maybe by having the fob / key right next to it for several hours, rolled it the few metres back inside and went to grab a multimeter. Checked it and it was at 13.2v which is 100% state of charge for a lithium ion phosphate.. strange.. so I tried to start it and it started perfectly fine....

So now I'm thinking starter motor solenoid, are the solenoids a common failure point? Is there a sensor that detects of the starter motor is properly engaged and prevents it from cranking unless it is fully engaged? Does the ECU shut down the starter motor if it detects the solenoid, or the starter motor are drawing to much current or at the incorrect resistance? I don't think the motor itself has any issue, as it would be consistent, though a failing solenoid would be less consistent.

I'm pretty sure it's a very simple issue, that I think the ECU is hiding from me

Advice?

Not sure if this will help.

iThere are 2 relays in the fuse panel box IIRC. 1 starter, 1 system relay. They should have the same P/N on them. Just reverse them to see if starter works. There may be a 3rd. but I think it has a different P/N.

Do you have the manual for your scoot? Check all the fuzes and relays, may have a week or bad one.

Not sure if this will help.

iThere are 2 relays in the fuse panel box IIRC. 1 starter, 1 system relay. They should have the same P/N on them. Just reverse them to see if starter works. There may be a 3rd. but I think it has a different P/N.

Do you have the manual for your scoot? Check all the fuzes and relays, may have a week or bad one.

I do have a manual, I'll swap those two relays over next time I've got the seat off, definitely worth a shot.

Next time it fails on me I'll be very curious to put it in gear, rock it back and forward a little and then see if it'll start. Definitely feels to me like the starter is failing to engage and something from there stops it from even trying. Thanks Jeff, I'll update here once I do finally figure it out

It's interesting that you mentioned having the fob next to the battery may have buggered it up. Trying putting a new battery in the fob, if it's going bad the bike won't start, it may be sputtering out thereby causing intermittent starting problems. Not saying that's the problem, but it's a very cheap fix if it is, and it needs to be changed every year anyway.

Are you getting the power to the starter solenoid igniter wire when pushing the start button during the no crank condition?

Back