free website stats program 2013 Streeglide has a miss | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2013 Streeglide has a miss

In answer to last 2 responses:

1) Everything was installed at the time the bike arrived, I didn't ride it at all while it was stock. I do have all cables and software for the SEPRT. Again, I know a lot of people that have had upgrades done to their bikes when they were brand new without any issues. I just think this combination may require a little more tinkering to straighten it out.

2) I do not plan on having any dyno work done until there is at least 600-700 miles on it of normal riding first, if not more. A couple bike builders I spoke with said 500 miles would be ok to dyno it but more would be better. They also said the more air you leave in and out requires more tweaking to get the canned map right. It's just frustrating more than anything else. You would think at this stage of the game Harley would have a working maps for their SEPRT for any and all combinations of ad ons they sell rather than just generic canned tunes.

Really need more detail on what you mean by "cuts out". If you stay in that 2000 RPM window, will the engine just continue to cut in and out? An air fuel mixture that is lean will almost always lead to continuous surging (not cutting out) as if the bike was being pushed back and forth.. sort of like "rocking".

When a stone cold engine is started, you have about 1 minute until the fuel enrichment system (choke) turns off. You may want to try and run the bike in the 2000 RPM window as soon as you start it up. Its only 800 RPM above high idle set RPM so I wouldn't be concerned with it.
See if the bike still cuts out in that 2000 RPM window.

In answer to last 2 responses:

1) Everything was installed at the time the bike arrived, I didn't ride it at all while it was stock. I do have all cables and software for the SEPRT. Again, I know a lot of people that have had upgrades done to their bikes when they were brand new without any issues. I just think this combination may require a little more tinkering to straighten it out.

2) I do not plan on having any dyno work done until there is at least 600-700 miles on it of normal riding first, if not more. A couple bike builders I spoke with said 500 miles would be ok to dyno it but more would be better. They also said the more air you leave in and out requires more tweaking to get the canned map right. It's just frustrating more than anything else. You would think at this stage of the game Harley would have a working maps for their SEPRT for any and all combinations of ad ons they sell rather than just generic canned tunes.

87lwrdr, I know your frustration and went through a very similar situation. My frustration led me to spend more money and went with the Dyno. I know you said you want to avoid that and from my experience the best way would be for you to Smart Tune on your own. I didn't feel confident doing the Smart Tune and went with the Dyno. Here is the Reader's Digest version:

When I bought the Ultra I waited until 1000 miles to do the Stage 1, same setup as yours except I went with Vance and Hines Dresser Duals. The canned map really made it run rough and the exhaust note was horrid. I do not remember the "miss" like you are describing, but it did feel like the timing was off through the RPMs.

I returned it to the dealer that did the installs three times and they said they did the best they could and put the closest map to my setup. They recommended I get it dynoed. I asked if they would even do a Smart Tune with the SEPST and they said they didn't do that.

So, aggravated at this point I went the Harley Dealer in my area with a Dyno and for $250 they got it straight and it has been running great ever since.

I know it isn't a fix to your situation and it was a drag to spend more money at another shop to get it right, but like you said the maps need a little more tinkering to get them straightened out.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but we had some computer problems that put me on hold.

They took the bike in to have it Dynoed to try and find the problem and they did without even running the Dyno. They found out what was wrong when they put the sensors in the exhaust pipes. The problem was when the kid took off the stock exhaust and put the Rinehart true duals on he inadvertently crossed the 02 sensors at the plugs. This allowed the the bike to still run but nowhere near the way it should, apparently the computer will go into a sort of safe mode for safety reasons. The bike NOW runs great with the tune designed for the pipes and stage 1 air.

I will in time and with more miles on it I will take it in and get the Dyno run to tweak everything right.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but we had some computer problems that put me on hold.

They took the bike in to have it Dynoed to try and find the problem and they did without even running the Dyno. They found out what was wrong when they put the sensors in the exhaust pipes. The problem was when the kid took off the stock exhaust and put the Rinehart true duals on he inadvertently crossed the 02 sensors at the plugs. This allowed the the bike to still run but nowhere near the way it should, apparently the computer will go into a sort of safe mode for safety reasons. The bike NOW runs great with the tune designed for the pipes and stage 1 air.

I will in time and with more miles on it I will take it in and get the Dyno run to tweak everything right.

Good to hear it is running great and problem solved.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that after the Dyno tune I was getting a O2 sensor inop code. Nothing really prompted me to check the codes, I just do on occasion to see if anything is there. Took it back to the dealer and same thing, O2 sensors were crossed. They corrected them and bike ran better than what I thought was running well.

Enjoy. :D

Back