free website stats program 2011 Ultra Classic Limited hard to get in neutral | Harley Davidson Forums

2011 Ultra Classic Limited hard to get in neutral

yharley

My bike doesn't like neutral very much. Anyone one else having this problem. Dealer advised after 1000 miles checkup problem may go away. What's your take?

You shouldn't have any problem getting the bike into neutral. I am thinking of a clutch adjustment first. I would address the issue with the dealer, I wouldn't expect the problem to go away on its own.

Take a look at this.

Easy Clutch Adjustment Method - Harley Davidson Community

I may be way off on my guess here, but I'm sure others with better knowledge will chime in and get you on the right track.

My bike doesn't like neutral very much. Anyone one else having this problem. Dealer advised after 1000 miles checkup problem may go away. What's your take?

This is a brand new bike that you are having trouble with (tranny and rear shock leaking)? Take it back and DEMAND that they fix EVERYTHING that is wrong with it!!!

TQ

Joy has you covered. That would be the first thing I would try. I also found running Spectro 6 Speed gear oil in the box helped a little bet also. Maybe an overfilled primary?
I agree with Joy that the problems probably won't go away on it's own.

The past 2 days I've been doing demo rides on many of the 2011 product line (can you say CVO Street Glide Screamin Eagle...man what a bike...but I digress).

I did ride the 2011 Ultra Limited yesterday and observed the exact same issue on this bike. Getting into neutral was a bit of a challenge. It was only a 15mi loop that I got to check this thing out, but do recall neutral being a bit problematic.

Poor clutch adjustment does not surprise me on a new bike, more often than not it is poor PDI JMO:s

I had this problem with both my 09 Road King and my 2010 Limited for the first 1000 or so miles. Problem got better after first trans oil change Redline in the RK and Amsoil Severe Gear in the limited. No clutch adjustment necessary. No problem at all now getting the RK trans in neutral on the RK at 10 K miles. 5K on the limited, just did the 5K service and put in Amsoil Severe gear again and just like the RK it goes into neutral easier each time I ride it. I'm no trans expert buy perhaps by adding another gear in there (5 speed to 6 speed) things may be a little tight. I'd give it some time. The factory (I would guess) sees a lot more installations than a local dealer and I'd think twice before I had one of the dealer's "kids" (not a lot of real world mechanic experience yet) start playing around with my transmission. I'm not keen on letting them do the simple stuff like oil changes...just my opinion.

Clutch adjustment along with decent tranny fluid (NOT HD fluid) will help. Read here to find one a a few that is fine. I use Spectro for 6 speeds, but there are more choices as well. No matter what, it should not be very hard to find neutral.

My 2011 Ultra Limited was a (EDIT) to get into neutral. I did the 1,000 mile service myself and I used Amsoil MCV 20W-50 in all 3 holes. Immediately, the transmission became quieter and the trouble getting it into Neutral disappeared. Plus it shifts soooo much smoother and quieter now.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that information. Went out today and put bike over 1k mark. Will be dropping off bike for warranty work tuesday.

Back