free website stats program 2011 Street Glide Transmission | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2011 Street Glide Transmission

I've adjusted the clutch myself and HD did it most recently on the 5000 service. Also use Redline Shockproof. The only time I don't get the clunk is on a cold start if I have the clutch pulled in. Tried that after someone elses recommendation. I've also tried waiting. The noise is not as loud when the bike is hot. I will say I don't notice the whine noise as much anymore since I posted on this. I will try a little longer wait on the tap down into first and see what happens.

I've adjusted the clutch myself and HD did it most recently on the 5000 service. Also use Redline Shockproof. The only time I don't get the clunk is on a cold start if I have the clutch pulled in. Tried that after someone elses recommendation. I've also tried waiting. The noise is not as loud when the bike is hot. I will say I don't notice the whine noise as much anymore since I posted on this. I will try a little longer wait on the tap down into first and see what happens.

It is not Always Not there on my bike.(the clunk)

The 1/2 turn on the clutch-pac is needed and not 5/8 Or 3/4 from against the plates when stop tight (finger tight pressure on allen). The other that is mostly Out of adjustment is the cable IF larger opening than 1/16 it Does make a difference....

A friend argued that his was set up right,,,, I took a look and re-set the 1/2 at pac and 1/16 at cable then TOOK OFF his braided leather clutch covers and NO clunk.

counting 8 seconds is a Long time when you want to get going..

The redline is a shockproof gear oil that helps No Metal To Metal contact even when a clunk.. Hence: never metal on magnetic plug.

ALSO make sure the HD is using the FULL amount of oil in the primary,,,, Some only put in 1 Qt.

signed....BUBBIE

Is the clunk going from Neutral into 1st really a big deal? I pull the clutch back and wait maybe 1 second....kick the shifter and it does give a good audible clunk but I hear that from almost every Harley I see on the road. TO me it is a sound that lets me know I hit 1st!

Is the clunk going from Neutral into 1st really a big deal? I pull the clutch back and wait maybe 1 second....kick the shifter and it does give a good audible clunk but I hear that from almost every Harley I see on the road. TO me it is a sound that lets me know I hit 1st!

IMO, the Clunk is Normal but there are ways to reduce it or sometimes not to have it at all.. Just suggested ways to Reduce the Clunk...

On my ride, 09 FLHR, I like to Not have it Clunk at the first start off when cold and it easily goes into first gear without the clunk after holding clutch in for several seconds... If in a hurry, I just squeeze and do like others and push down into gear...

The one I think is Very Bad for the tranny,, is the guy that revs his harley up to hear the pipes rattle the windows THEN grabs the clutch and STRiiiiiips the gear into first.... Gotta hurt..

signed....BUBBIE

IMO, the Clunk is Normal but there are ways to reduce it or sometimes not to have it at all.. Just suggested ways to Reduce the Clunk...

On my ride, 09 FLHR, I like to Not have it Clunk at the first start off when cold and it easily goes into first gear without the clunk after holding clutch in for several seconds... If in a hurry, I just squeeze and do like others and push down into gear...

The one I think is Very Bad for the tranny,, is the guy that revs his harley up to hear the pipes rattle the windows THEN grabs the clutch and STRiiiiiips the gear into first.... Gotta hurt..

signed....BUBBIE

Thats why I count to ten and she slips right in to gear, capital Jack

Holding the clutch in while starting should help free off the clutch plates and also hold the clutch in for a wee while before making that first gear selection should give a clunk free first selection

Brian

It's got nothing to do with the oil, the gear is cut different than the rest of the gears that's where the wine comes from! :s

I just purchased a 2011 street glide 103, at 648 miles, it sounded like the tranny was falling out!! dropped it at the dealer here in st pete fla.. after one day in the shop they informed me it was repaired. said it was a "loose bolt" in the lower tranny area. I have yet to pick it up, but I'll keep ya posted.

I don't get the clunk, but the tranny while in neutral, sounds like a bunch of rocks in a tin can..dealler told me it was a "loose bolt"!!

Anyone know if there is a kit available to change out the auto adjuster on the primary to eliminate acceleration noise?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Bubbie. When I got the adjustment of the clutch cable right, it made the 'clunk' a little less audible. When I went to Redline in the trans, it made it quieter yet. It also made the trans smoother, and neutral is easier to find.

Back