free website stats program 2011 1200C Running rough | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2011 1200C Running rough

I've heard a kind of occasional "clink clink" sound coming from the engine. Wondering now if that's engine detonation/ping that I've been reading about in the sef help section?? If it is, it sounds not good at all!

Isn't your fuel ethanol free? 95 octane should be great fuel. I am pretty sure the XL doesn't have ION knock retard so look into that noise your hearing.

Isn't your fuel ethanol free? 95 octane should be great fuel. I am pretty sure the XL doesn't have ION knock retard so look into that noise your hearing.

Most petrol here has 5% ethanol far as I know and never hear any complaints about it.
Goin to do the electrical checks, plugs etc this weekend. Will post results.

WOW test showed no codes - thanks for that info Hoople.
checked all connections & wiggled as many wires as I could reach; they looked fine, cleaned the battery terminals & applied dialectric grease.
plugs looked ok also - tan/brown colour.

Went for 70 odd mile spin this afternoon and done plenty in 2nd/3rd gears where the problem seemed to be. It seems a lot better and I didn't hear that clinking sound again either.
Still a bit in the dark as to what was causing the roughness though - I'm gonna just keep a good eye on it and see....
Thanks for your help folks.

My 2009 1200C exhibited surging and hesitation when operated under light load conditions between 25 and 35 mph since new. I brought it back to the dealer several times and was told that nothing was wrong with the bike and that "they all do it". Websites specific to Sportsters indicate that the surging issue with 1200cc EFI Sportsters is common. After putting up with these symptoms for four years and spending hundreds of dollars to try to fix the problem, I purchased and installed a Dobeck TFI and set it up per Dobeck's instructions. Problem solved! I wish I had installed the Dobeck TFI sooner.:)

My 2009.....Websites specific to Sportsters indicate that the surging issue with 1200cc EFI Sportsters is common....

My problem wasn't/isn't so much surging as hesitating/holding back.
Anyway, first time I've ever heard that - more research required obviously!
One key difference with mine is that the problem didn't start until the bike was over 2 years old.
Do I take it you now have a stage 1 done - pipes & air breather as well as the TFI? amazing that It took all that just to get your bike to run properly....?

Just to tie this one up:

Left the bike with indie (former Harley) mechanic who done a full diagnostic check, all good - no faults. Dyno showed good torque & hp, compression ok...bike still rode very rough and was despairing of ever finding the problem.
Had always intended to get stage 1 done at sometime anyway, funds permitting, so went ahead with that.
Collected the bike today. She's 100% better & such a pleasure to ride through town without that halting/jerking thing.
Whatever it was, problem is now solved, it seems. :D

It has taken a long time to get it sorted and summer is over however there can be good weather in September and October

Brian

Back