free website stats program 2011 1200C Running rough | Harley Davidson Forums

2011 1200C Running rough

RAWLDYMAN

Bike is stock except V&H slip-ons. Been doing the servicing myself, since new, in accordance with the manual.

Lately it's been running a bit rough, like a halting/missing sensation which makes the bike quite "jerky" to ride.
Doesn't really happen in 1st when accelerating away from a stop. It occurs mainly in 2nd & 3rd gear in town riding at speeds of about 25-35mph at steady revs.
It disappears when you wind the throttle open and, it doesn't seem to happen at all in 4th & 5th out on the roads when you're giving it plenty. There is also a wee bit of backfire that wasn't the case before.
It's not me lugging the engine with too low revs - I know how these bikes like to be revved...
It's not bad petrol as I've filled up (from nearly empty) about 7 or 8 times since this started.
I don't detect any sign of exhaust leaks.
Is this some kind of fuelling issue?
Any ideas?

The only time my 1200 ran rough was when I had a loose battery connection, so you may want to check it. Since it's not a continuous problem I would think it is more electrical than fuel. I'm sure others will chime in with more advice..good luck!

Could be that the plug wires do not have a good connection or are starting to break down
Plug wires can start to deteriorate after a few years in the cold wet environment this side of the pond
Run the bike in the dark and look for stray spark jumping from wire to engine

Brian

Lately it's been running a bit rough, like a halting/missing sensation which makes the bike quite "jerky" to ride.

Knowing mileage on bike would help. Perform a WOW test just to see if the diagnostic error log has a stored code. There are error codes for some electrical issues. (injector wiring, coil secondary issues etc)

It's not easy to check but it may also be low fuel pump pressure. There are no direct error codes for low fuel pump pressure.
Do you have a quality VOM meter.

Ok, had'nt thought about electrical stuff. Will check battery, coil & ECM connections etc

@ Fin: Will check the plugs, wires tomorrow evening. A stray spark would mean replacement cable, right?

@ Hoople: sorry, nearly 8,00 miles. No VOM. Know next to nothing about electrics. If I can't suss this after the basics checks above I'll probably get a mechanic to look at it.

No VOM. Know next to nothing about electrics. If I can't suss this after the basics checks above I'll probably get a mechanic to look at it.

10/4. Here is a self test you can perform without any tools just to see if the bike has stored a trouble code. If you do have a stored code, just come back & post it. This procedure is for a 2011 Touring bike but it should work fine for your Sportster. If you get lost within the maze, just turn the key off and back on. It will reset back to the beginning with nothing lost.

Attachments

• WOW Test.pdf
    74.8 KB · Views: 47
If there is some stray spark/arching from the plug wires (HT leads) then the only remedy would be to replace them

Brian

If there is some stray spark/arching from the plug wires (HT leads) then the only remedy would be to replace them

Checked leads and done the dark & wet test - doesn't seem to be spark leak.
Will do the WOW test at weekend when I get time & check plugs & connections generally.

One other possible symptom:
Forgot to say before but, a few times when she was running rough, I've heard a kind of occasional "clink clink" sound coming from the engine. Wondering now if that's engine detonation/ping that I've been reading about in the sef help section?? If it is, it sounds not good at all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Checked leads and done the dark & wet test - doesn't seem to be spark leak.
Will do the WOW test at weekend when I get time & check plugs & connections generally.

One other possible symptom:
Forgot to say before but, a few times when she was running rough, I've heard a kind of occasional "clink clink" sound coming from the engine. Wondering now if that's engine detonation/ping that I've been reading about in the sef help section?? If it is, it sounds not good at all!

What fuel and what spark plugs are you running? Specialty plugs can pre ignite and cause a spark knock sound:s

Jack Klarich What fuel and what spark plugs are you running? Specialty plugs can pre ignite and cause a spark knock sound:s[/QUOTE said:
Fuel is ordinary unleaded 95 octane petrol; the odd time might use super unleaded octane 97. (I think in USA octane classifications might be slightly different to UK?)
The spark plugs are the ones that were in there when I bought the bike new in 2011

Back