free website stats program 2010 Heritage seat holding water | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 Heritage seat holding water

Has anyone had a problem with the Heritage seat holding water ? The seat on my 2010 Heritage is not waterproof and holds water like a sponge. If the bike gets caught in the rain or after washing the bike , the water goes through the seams into the padding and when you sit on it, the seat expelles water on the back of your pants like sitting on a twelve inch sponge. Never had a seat do this in over forty years of riding. They were always waterproof.

Is it still under warrenty? If so, take back to dealer, see what they can do. Doesn't sound right. Maybe made wrong.
wilks3
:USA

Is it still under warrenty? If so, take back to dealer, see what they can do. Doesn't sound right. Maybe made wrong.
wilks3
Yes, I have the four year warranty. Bought the bike new and it has been doing it since I bought it everytime it gets wet. Just need to know if anybody is having the same problem so when they tell me that I am the first, I will have some ammunition. I'm sure they will refuse and deny as usual until I tell them to spray some water on the seat, try to dry it, then sit on it.

I have to agree with you, just sitting here thinking, I've never had a seat hold water like you describe.
wilks3

Yes, I have the four year warranty. Bought the bike new and it has been doing it since I bought it everytime it gets wet. Just need to know if anybody is having the same problem so when they tell me that I am the first, I will have some ammunition. I'm sure they will refuse and deny as usual until I tell them to spray some water on the seat, try to dry it, then sit on it.

I have to agree with you, just sitting here thinking, I've never had a seat hold water like you describe.
wilks3

Stock 07 Streetbob seat acts like a sponge, It is gone I now have an 09 Streetbob seat no more water retention even in a rain storm

In most cases the seat cushion will have a plastic wrap or covering over the foam and under the vinyl that is the cover. It's possible that your seat doesn't have it and it can be added by un stapling the cover and adding it.

The seat top cover should be waterproof however if there are any stitched panels or buttons then perhaps water can penetrate but there should be a plastic cover between the foam and the top cover however if there are buttons on the seat the tie downs go through the plastic and water can get to the foam and come back out through the entry holes when pressure is applied
Once the seat foam is wet the only thing that seems to dry it out is some denim material with a bit of heat and weight applied for a few hours :)

Brian

Thanks for your comments Glider and Fin . I was thinking the same thing. It seems like they didn't put the plastic in there. There are seams on these seats but no buttons. I've had plenty of seats with both though and never had this problem. I just came back from a ride today and the seat is still wet which translates into wet pants. I've seen better seats on tractors which always sit outside.

Rub a paraffin candle on the seams - get as much paraffin into the seams as possible. Seals the seams real well.

Beeswax works well too, but it's organic: it eventually dries out and/or wears off.

I've seen better seats on tractors which always sit outside.

Not my Mahindra...every time I sit on it, sounds like a wet passing of gas.:p
My dealer wanted to up-sell me a more expensive seat, but I ride the Harley more than the tractor. Plus, with the humidity around here, it already looks like I wet my pants after a few hours of use.
Sorry this doesn't help with your problem, however.

Back