free website stats program 2009 Electra Glide won't turn over properly | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Electra Glide won't turn over properly

bjbuttars

My, "New to me", 2009 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic has been amazing. I bought it 3 months ago.
Recently I noticed it lags when it comes to turning over when a cooled engine compared to my buddies 2004 EG Classic. It needs a full second before it fires up! compared to my friends at pretty close to instant turn over rate. Now lately every time when I ride and go to start it when it's still hot it takes even longer, sometimes takes a couple tries and make a ping sound that worries me. but only does it when hot. Please help I'm a new Harley enthusiast and it's my first bike that is fuel injected and belt driven. Don't want to over think this so any new perspective is appreciated

Brand new batteries have been known to be bad. Have it load tested. When did this start and was anything done to the bike just before hand? Check battery connections, they have two sides each and both need to be checked,

As has been said, make sure the battery is up to snuff first. If the problem still exists, you could have a compensator going bad; common problem and it does present as you describe.

Re: compensator. When you start and shut off the bike does it sound like a bucket of bolts. When I took apart my stock compensator last year the springs inside had worn a hole into the bowl (for lack of better description) they sat in. So when I started and shut off the bike the bucket of bolts sound was the springs flopping up and down. Also what is the CCA rating of the battery in the bike? If it is lower than stock, you may have an undersized battery.

Back