free website stats program 2008 rocker FXCWC thumping noise 2 from rear when increasing speed in gear | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 rocker FXCWC thumping noise 2 from rear when increasing speed in gear

You don't have to be a full blown mechanic in order to do some things on your bike. Yes, there's a spring loaded tensioner tool used to adjust the drive belt but I can tell you the belt should only move maybe 3/8" pushing up hard from bottom in the center of it by hand when it's on the ground. The primary chain should only have about 5/8" movement at tightest point measured in the middle. Do you have a Service Manual? Exact specs are in there. You can also Google and YouTube things like that. Are you sure the tire isn't out of round? Maybe picked up something from the road? If you're claiming ignorance but have pulled the primary cover I'd caution you about not over torquing the screws when you replace it. It sounds to me like a rolling issue so you need to duplicate that as best as you can.

You don't have to be a full blown mechanic in order to do some things on your bike. Yes, there's a spring loaded tensioner tool used to adjust the drive belt but I can tell you the belt should only move maybe 3/8" pushing up hard from bottom in the center of it by hand when it's on the ground. The primary chain should only have about 5/8" movement at tightest point measured in the middle. Do you have a Service Manual? Exact specs are in there. You can also Google and YouTube things like that. Are you sure the tire isn't out of round? Maybe picked up something from the road? If you're claiming ignorance but have pulled the primary cover I'd caution you about not over torquing the screws when you replace it. It sounds to me like a rolling issue so you need to duplicate that as best as you can.
I have the shop manual, I do not have the tensioner, or if the belt needs adjusted( It is way more than the spec 5/16-3/8 when on a jack) dont have sockets large enough to loose the rear axle bolts, no idea how to troubleshoot the output pulley from the trans..... also why all of a sudden did the belt loose tension this may be an underlying problem so...... I learned a long time ago that sometimes if you want a job done correctly, let the professionals do their jobs. Thanks for the caution on torque. taking it to the shop.

I have the shop manual, I do not have the tensioner, or if the belt needs adjusted( It is way more than the spec 5/16-3/8 when on a jack) dont have sockets large enough to loose the rear axle bolts, no idea how to troubleshoot the output pulley from the trans..... also why all of a sudden did the belt loose tension this may be an underlying problem so...... I learned a long time ago that sometimes if you want a job done correctly, let the professionals do their jobs. Thanks for the caution on torque. taking it to the shop.
The belt tension will change when the bike is on a lift. That's why they tell you to adjust it when it's upright on the ground with a person sitting on it. Good luck with it and please let us know what they find.

The belt tension will change when the bike is on a lift. That's why they tell you to adjust it when it's upright on the ground with a person sitting on it. Good luck with it and please let us know what they find.
shop manual has 2 tension specs one on ground one on lift tire off ground.... will post here once find out what it is thats wrong...

Have you checked your rear wheel for alignment; and also that the rear axle is tight.
How is the rear pulley? All the fasteners tight and none are broken?
Front pulley ok?
It sounds like you’ve got something loose or falling apart in your drive.

Do you get the same feel; or noise etc if you’re coasting or rolling? Or is it only under power?

Back