free website stats program 2008 rocker FXCWC thumping noise 2 from rear when increasing speed in gear | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 rocker FXCWC thumping noise 2 from rear when increasing speed in gear

rlknight1

runs, idles, increases RPM in neutral.... when in gear moving has a intermittent thump sound and can feel it in seat. Feels a bit like Like when riding and dont down shift soon enough ... engine rpms remain steady.... any ideas where to start?

Under load? Decel? Can you lift the rear wheel safely and put it in gear to watch rear wheel? Checked the primary chain? Compensator?

I agree with Joel, sounds like a loose belt to me, push up on the belt to check for proper travel. Welcome from Ohio.

Under load? Decel? Can you lift the rear wheel safely and put it in gear to watch rear wheel? Checked the primary chain? Compensator?
have not done anything to it yet, going to put on jack today see what i can see.... thanks for the input

I agree with Joel, sounds like a loose belt to me, push up on the belt to check for proper travel. Welcome from Ohio.
ok I will check it out thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a fan of those automatic chain adjusters. They'll ratchet up under hard decel and keep the chain too tight. What kind of tension is on that chain? (measured) Also can you get any movement out of the compensator? Does it clunk on start up? Lastly, this may be a long shot but how's the output pulley from the transmission? I had one that ate itself and started clunking. Right before it completely separated from the shaft.

Not a fan of those automatic chain adjusters. They'll ratchet up under hard decel and keep the chain too tight. What kind of tension is on that chain? (measured) Also can you get any movement out of the compensator? Does it clunk on start up? Lastly, this may be a long shot but how's the output pulley from the transmission? I had one that ate itself and started clunking. Right before it completely separated from the shaft.
not a bike mechanic, do not have tensioner or any way to measure tension..... no abnormal noises upon startup, ive ridden this bike for 4 years and have had no issues with compensator noise. I rod to work 56 miles, no issues bike sat 8 hrs while i was at work... rode home got about 2 miles from my exit on highway and thats when it started. stopped at light bottom of ramp.... stopped at light idled fine no noises.. started going again and got worse more toward top of gear but did it through first and second into 3rd... thats when i pulled over called for trailer. left it running for 20 minutes ran rpms up in neutral and in first with clutch lever pulled in.... no issues. no noise..... loaded on trailer (under power) off trailer up driveway underpower.

Back