free website stats program 2008 FXSTC Softail Won't Start! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 FXSTC Softail Won't Start!

OH! And thank you all for your kind comments and support for our loss. The reality just hit me as I am sure it is hitting
my wife. The 21st of next month will be the anniversary of our youngest daughter's passing. We are watching Mikki,
our grand daughter, for signs that she is revisiting the loss too. Children are resilient and stronger than some adults
but when she cries.. We cry too. I have togo. I am starting to again now..

Stay safe all! And thank you again.

Mate; I feel for you. I really do.
I honestly do not know how I would -or if I even could- handle any issue such as you and your family have been forced to.
I don’t even know what to say because I feel any words I utter will ring false and sound like platitudes.
Be strong. Be brave. May your God or your faith be of support for you all.
Best wishes.

Your bike: - we experienced an issue like yours about 2 years ago. No electrical power. Seemed like the bike was dead. But: The battery was healthy. VERY healthy alarm siren. No display in/on the speedo- so we couldn’t enter the security codes. NADA! Not a blown fuse. Not an open circuit in the ignition wiring. No broken wires. Tight battery terminals etc etc.
Bike no work.

It turned out that the 3 wires on the load side of the ignition switch were actually corroded.
BUT- they LOOKED normal. As in you or me or anyone could not tell they were very high resistance. (We did not have a Megger to test for continuity or resistance.)
Honestly, I was an Electrician for a long time and have learned to not trust connections- but these looked so clean that initially I passed them over.
Much rumination and discussion followed ; and eventually we went back and removed the ignition switch; pulled those 3 wires and scraped and cleaned them thoroughly ( even though they looked fine. OK?) We squashed the female connections down tighter as well. Put it back together and the thing started.
So, don’t believe what you see- go back; take that cover and switch off, and pull the wires.
Humour me. I don’t care if they look happy and shiny.And contented. Clean em properly.

Get some emery paper or fine sand paper and clean those spade plugs until they gleam. Then scrub em down. Also clean as best you can the female connections.
Try and squeeze the female ends for better contact also.
Remake your connections and put some dielectric grease in and around the terminals: or spray WD40 or electrical cleaner or even Vaseline to keep water and rubbish from getting in and causing more corrosion.
Prolly wouldn’t hurt to spray some water inhibitor or electrical lube into the ignition switch as well.
Think about it- that part of your bike is exposed to the elements when/ if you ride in bad weather or when you wash it.
Give it a go.

I

Hello and thank you biscuit. The meaning of your comments speaks volumes in support that meet no measure.
We thank you for those kind and considerate words. Family, friends, as well as religious belief and support have
been key to our solidarity and survival.

On to your recommendations. I had been thinking the same thing since it has been quite a while since I had my
sticky fingers into these areas and parts so I started gathering the special tools for doing just what you suggest
for remedies to apply that could very well help. These items include Dielectric grease, Emory boards (like for the
ladies' nails) in both medium fine and ultra fine to remove corrosion while not removing more metal than needed.
Then of course the tools like multi-meter, I even picked up an oscilloscope for those really challenging tests.

I have added a list of things to do while I am doing the alarm service items that includes your recommendations.
My hopes are that the HD Electrical Service Manual I just ordered will get here soon. I am expecting the 2008 HD
FX Softail series Shop Manual to arrive between tomorrow and Tuesday. These are REAL "Red" H-D manuals so
they should have everything I could possibly need for this nightmare. The fingers and toes are crossed. Next is my
eyes if I can get rid of my sinus headache. We have a nasty wind storm going right now making Albuquerque look
like the Sahara Desert with all the dust in the air cutting visibility down to a block or less. Bad on the old sinuses!

I will keep watching for more ideas and suggestions and will post updates as soon as I have a viable moment to
stare into the internet fog..

Have a great weekend all! Stay upright and cruise safe!

Back