free website stats program 2008 FXSTC Softail Won't Start! | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 FXSTC Softail Won't Start!

Leo D

Ok.. Let me start out with this..

Hello everyone! New to the site and forum. I have been riding for many years and I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico. My newest ride is a 2008 FXSTC Softail Custom that I have had since brand new. All I have ever had to do to it other than the accessories and upgrades I have done since I bought it was replace the battery and the tires. Of course the oils have been changed 4 times including the break in oil change. Synthetic only since that first change. Now. As of this past November 11, 2019 I have owned the bike for 11 years. However. Due to my disability issues I don't get to ride her near as much as I would like. To this point.. My two tone red HD FXSTC has less than 4,000 actual miles on it!

I replaced the tires because the New Mexico sun LOVES to eat Dunlop tires. They had plenty of tread but they also had plenty of cracks and clear sunburn on the areas the covers did not cover. The battery.. Well that's a gimme. I have had to replace it 3 times during the past 11 years because they are not meant to sit for very long periods of time even if they do have a trickle charger on them. That and most are only good for up to 2, maybe 3 years and only warranted for one.

Last year I put a new battery in her and since then she has run great. Started every time without any issues but of course I was getting out to ride more than I had been just to make sure everything kept working.

Here is what has been tearing up my days and ruining my riding time with the warmer weather of spring!

A couple of weeks ago I uncovered her, disconnected the trickle charger, and backed her out of the shed and started her up.. Fired right off. Let her idle a bit. At this point it had been 3 weeks or so since I had her out. Donned my gloves and skidlid and put her in gear. Pulled out of the drive way and rode off to see sights. 2 hours later I was home. Left her in the driveway while I took my gloves, jacket and helmet inside. Opened the gate and shed to pull her back inside and went to bring her up. I unlocked the ignition, turned it on. Lights came on as usual. Hit the run and start buttons and she fired up like before. Suddenly she shut down and the lights went out including the speedo and info bar on the console.

At first I thought the main fuse. So. I pulled the seat, checked the fuse but it was ok. I cycled the ignition switch to off and back on. Nothing. I turned it back to accessory and the tail light came on. That was it... Nothing else worked. I checked both key fob batteries. They had good voltage but I replaced them just to make sure. Still no power in run.

Has anyone else had this happen? I have tried changing the relays for the fuel pump and starter, I have even replaced the fuel pump, filter, lines and such in case it was a fuel pump problem that caused the power loss. The original fuel pump had some nasty external corrosion so I thought this could be a cause if this was internal as well. This has not made for any joy. I can get the pump to hum and move fuel by bypassing the dead run side but that only shows it is working. I have taken the ignition switch out and cleaned it, refinished the contacts for better fit, and contact, and a bit of dielectric grease for good measure.

She will not power up the run circuit and will not start. Can anyone help me figure this out? I am a DAV, Disabled Veteran and I was just getting ready to let her go for sale so she can have an owner who can ride her the way she is needing ridden. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I am about as tapped out over this as I can be now.

Thank you all for your time and kind consideration.

Leo D

Welcome to the forum,
Start with the basics if you already haven't. Load test a fully charged battery, if you don't have the means to do that you can take it to places like Autozone and they can do it. Clean all battery cables to include at the starter and make sure they are tight. If you checked all the fuses you can check that off the list.

I agree with Jeff, it sounds like a battery or connection or ignition switch. Welcome to the forum from Ohio.

You gave an excellent description of your problem and attempts to remedy. All I can think of right now, is it possible that some "critter" has gotten in some nice dark spot on the bike and chewed some wires?

Welcome to the forum.
Jeff, Wrench and Breeze have all given you excellent feedback and things to check.
I am also an owner of a 08 FXSTC so I'm wracking my brain to remember if I have had anything similar, also consulted my service manual. I would say that the problem is most likely electrical. As Jeff pointed out check the battery connections first just to be sure and the starter connections and recheck the fuses.
Since the bike sits a lot I am leaning towards a corrosion problem somewhere or as Breeze mentioned a critter problem. I had a somewhat similar problem when I changed grips and was putting every thing back together, I pinched the start button wire in the housing, when I pressed the run button the fuel pump primed but nothing else when I pressed the start button.
Hopefully one of the other guys will chime in to help out. Good Luck!

Hi, sometimes I’m somewhat confused; and even more these days!
Can you explain exactly what happens. More rather than less.
Does the alarm go off if you disconnect the battery? That’s good ifn it does.

Does anything work on the bike when you switch it on?. Anything at all- horn or lights or display or anything?
You know- ignition switch on to run position and then what?
Will the bike respond to the fobs- what effect do they have on the bike?

I mean, does the bike act like it has no battery. No electrical response whatsoever. Apart from Mr alarm?
As electrically inert as a dead possum?

If so, I’d be checking the 3 terminals on the back of the ignition switch.
Remove the tank console and then the ignition switch and have a look.

Welcome to the forum and
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!
As your following our suggestions with a test light and or volt meter.
Check the battery grounds, all of them, the main ground at the frame or rear fender , remove the main fuse, disconnect the battery for cleaning.
Inspect the harness connector to the ECM for corrosion.
After this and the battery reconnected ensure you have correctly installed the fob battery. Upside down will do what your symptoms are. Had 1 brought to my shop on a trailer do to your symptoms and he replaced the fob battery upside down.
Check you pin number for the alarm.

Thank you everyone who has chipped in suggestions and feedback.

While I have been through the basics such as checking connections, battery charge, etc I will do it again taking into the
considerations about the critter possibility since it does spend so much time sitting. I am also going to check the wiring
in the run/start module on the handle bars since I had it off for the chrome upgrade a while back.

As of the date this happened the alarm has done nothing. Not even chirped as armed or unarmed. Fuses where all good
but the run side of the ignition switch (Key Lock) on the tank console is dead. No power readings in the start/run side
with the switch in run. The only lights that work are the taillights in Aux setting (left turn of switch).

I was considering options for the cause as anything from a jammed starter drive, which is unlikely with so little wear
on the components, to a bad ground wire somewhere. As yet I have not braved taking much more off of the bike than
the handle bar switch modules and the gas tank. I am also considering the possibility that the ECM may have gone out
on me but I have no clue as to why since I have not installed a tuner of any kind on it yet. I have read a number of forum
posts about thoughts by some that these tuners may possibly cause an ECM failure so I am wary of that idea. And,. As
of today. I know no one that has a good working, programmed, ECM that I could stick in it temporarily to see if that is
the culprit and for the price I really cannot afford to buy a brand new one, much less the shop time to get it programmed.

To get at the starter on this model appears to require removal of the oil tank. Can anyone verify this? I have not been able
to get my hands on an actual 2008 "Shop Manual" to use for diagnostics & work steps reference information of many of
my questions would be answered already.

I will keep checking for recommendations and post updates of findings along the way. IF I manage to find anything that
could be or turns out was the problem I will share that as well.

Thank you all again!

Stay safe, healthy and free!

Thank you everyone who has chipped in suggestions and feedback.

While I have been through the basics such as checking connections, battery charge, etc I will do it again taking into the
considerations about the critter possibility since it does spend so much time sitting. I am also going to check the wiring
in the run/start module on the handle bars since I had it off for the chrome upgrade a while back.

As of the date this happened the alarm has done nothing. Not even chirped as armed or unarmed. Fuses where all good
but the run side of the ignition switch (Key Lock) on the tank console is dead. No power readings in the start/run side
with the switch in run. The only lights that work are the taillights in Aux setting (left turn of switch).

I was considering options for the cause as anything from a jammed starter drive, which is unlikely with so little wear
on the components, to a bad ground wire somewhere. As yet I have not braved taking much more off of the bike than
the handle bar switch modules and the gas tank. I am also considering the possibility that the ECM may have gone out
on me but I have no clue as to why since I have not installed a tuner of any kind on it yet. I have read a number of forum
posts about thoughts by some that these tuners may possibly cause an ECM failure so I am wary of that idea. And,. As
of today. I know no one that has a good working, programmed, ECM that I could stick in it temporarily to see if that is
the culprit and for the price I really cannot afford to buy a brand new one, much less the shop time to get it programmed.

To get at the starter on this model appears to require removal of the oil tank. Can anyone verify this? I have not been able
to get my hands on an actual 2008 "Shop Manual" to use for diagnostics & work steps reference information of many of
my questions would be answered already.

I will keep checking for recommendations and post updates of findings along the way. IF I manage to find anything that
could be or turns out was the problem I will share that as well.

Thank you all again!

Stay safe, healthy and free!

Leo D, first thank you for your service, second yes "remove oil tank to provide clearance for starter removal" from my service manual. Did you contact your local HD dealer to see if a service manual is available.

Leo D, first thank you for your service, second yes "remove oil tank to provide clearance for starter removal" from my service manual. Did you contact your local HD dealer to see if a service manual is available.

Or check out ebay, i've seen manuals there before.

Back