free website stats program 2008 fatboy starting problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 fatboy starting problem

You'll probably get a "FREE" oil change :bigsmiley20:

You should ask this to the dealer too and see what they reply.:s

On examination I noticed that start relay under the seat is 'clicking' but start motor is not turning.

Unbelievable. If you hear that clicking relay, that leaves you with about 2 or 3 parts it can be. A meter will narrow it down even more. For starters "is there voltage on the green/black wire when the relay clicks"

8 months later and they still can't figure it out?

Is there more to this story? No one is that incompetent.

Originally Posted by marineboy
On examination I noticed that start relay under the seat is 'clicking' but start motor is not turning.
If the relay is clicking then it could be a bad relay or wire from the relay to the solenoid on the starter. If you check the voltage on the green wire at the solenoid or even jump the solenoid terminal where the green wire attaches to it with a 12V jumper wire and it starts then the problem is either the relay itself or the wire from it to the solenoid or lastly a bad connection on the solenoid.

If the relay is clicking then it could be a bad relay or wire from the relay to the solenoid on the starter. If you check the voltage on the green wire at the solenoid or even jump the solenoid terminal where the green wire attaches to it with a 12V jumper wire and it starts then the problem is either the relay itself or the wire from it to the solenoid or lastly a bad connection on the solenoid.

You would think that after all this time at the shop the HD Techs would have done this the very first go around!!!!!!:D

See what I mean. In 8 seconds instead of 8 months your down to a couple of parts.

Something is just not right about this dealership and this problem.
They must have hired my sister to fix bikes.

Not ALL techs should be techs :s

They should go back to doing the oil changes again.:bigsmiley20:

Some may strip the threads on the oil plug though!!!

I would go to the shop and ask for a print-out on what they have replaced / repaired so far. Even if the guys at the shop are nice and polite - think of it this way ----- Thats YOUR several thousand $'s sitting there and you cant ride !!!!!!!!!!! :small3d012:

Hi again,just a thought but it has been done before,we are all angered on this site by ur plight,how about widening the problem,i.e no company especially one of HD stature likes bad publicity,i would let HD USA have a copy of all your correspondence,i would also drop MCN a line about your problem,but before you do all that ask them how long they expect to keep ur bike without offering a hire bike,tell UK HD you will go to papers because saying rep is busy is not acceptable,how long has he been busy??!!!,im afraid drastic tactics need to be considered my mate,they are all happy taking r cash,maybe they should invest some of it in teaching the techs,good luck,and keep us updated,heres for a speedy fix

See what I mean. In 8 seconds instead of 8 months your down to a couple of parts.

Something is just not right about this dealership and this problem.
They must have hired my sister to fix bikes.

It's a matter of thinking the systems through when you have a problem. That's why they can't isolate the problem, they can't think.:bigsmiley20:

Hoop, you are the type of guy that has to know "WHY" something does what it does and that separates you and I from the dips that call themselves "techs" just because they have a piece of paper stating they went to
" harley school" :lolrolling

Throw something other than a part falling off the bike at them and they are stumped completely.

It is really a shame because those guys have a huge resource of support to fall back on. CD's,, training manuals,, on line courses,, an entire parts department,,, toll free hot lines to the factory,,and just plain other techs next to them with maybe more experience....

Who is so lucky to have that kind of support working for such a Great company like the MoCo, building such awesome products.?

And some of them have a chip on their shoulder... makes me wonder.

Back