free website stats program 2008 fatboy starting problem | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 fatboy starting problem

marineboy

I have a 2008 fatboy which has covered only 1700 miles. In November 2009 after standing idle for approx 6 weeks, the bike wouldnt start. I charged the battery and even bought an Optimate 4. Battery was fine but still wont start. On examination I noticed that start relay under the seat is 'clicking' but start motor is not turning. As the bike was under warranty until May 2010 I sent it to the local dealer !!! Now its July 2010 and the problem still not found. They have changed start switch, start motor, relay and found a 'dry joint'. The bikes now out of warranty but still with the dealer. Any ideas what I should do next. Ive contacted HD UK directly - but its like pulling teeth trying to get a resolution - any ideas what to do next ??????

I would ask the dealer to get a factory rep involved being they can't locate the problem being the riding season is ticking off. It's an easy enough job to trouble shoot the starter system going point by point to locate the weak link in the chain.

It doesn't say much for the dealers capabilities. The starter system is maybe the simplest system to trouble shoot IF they know what they are doing. It sounds like they are parts changers rather than techs.

Should still be a warranty issue as they have not resolved the issue, hang in there and be firm but polite, I know that sounds hard:s

Thanks for all your advise and support. At present my local dealer is ordering a new connection block !! (If this is the problem why did they change all the other parts and why didnt they spot it 8 months ago ???)

Hi Glider. Thanks for your advise. I agree that the starter system is simple. My believe is they dont have a clue about electrical testing. Problem is they wont admit to anything and its no loss to them if my bike keeps turning up with the samefault - its me who has the inconvenience and is losing a years riding !!! Ive written to Harley UK, there polite but dont seem to want to get involved !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi marineboy,were abouts are you?,surely if your not satisfied and obviously HD UK are aware of your plight and not forthcoming with a solution anytime soon,were do you stand on telling them your dissatisfied and have it looked at by another dealer,as you knw they say HD over the door but they aint always top mechanics/techs,that why im asking were you are ? p.s sorry ur losing on riding season you must be losing your mind!!

Hi Danny. Im in Southampton. Dealer is Dockgate 20. They are polite and helpful - but cant find the fault, its been in their workshop for more than 60 days since Nov 09 !! If I take it away from them im sure they wont touch it again as the warranty has expired and how to get a new dealer interested if the warranty has expired. HDUK are also polite, but apparantly their regional manager is busy !!!!!

More than 60 days in the shop?

I would be talking about a loaner and jumping up and down myself. Get the factory rep in there pronto. Call the MOCO again and explain your frustration with the dealer and their inability to fix the bike. Don't take no for an answer.

Hi Glider. Believe me ive been jumpin up and down for a while now. I ve written to HDUK, phoned HDUK and apart from their apologies and sympathy for my position they havnt progressed the situation. They have referred my case to the HDUK regional manager but im told he's busy and they wont tell me his name or any details. (Who or what is MOCO ??)

2 months would be OK, but its been 8 months since the problem - since when ive only ridden less than 20 miles since April. It been with the dealer +60 days over the past months. Compensation !! I;ll ask - and lets have a competition about the result (im guessing a mug (that 'll make a pair if you include me !)

Back