free website stats program 2008 Electronic Throttle | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 Electronic Throttle

I just want to update that I rode yesterday for several miles and stopped and started without issue.

Now I am beginning to wonder if it is something that I might have done not being familiar with the (ETC) Electronic Throttle Control.

It would be possible that I turned the Off/Run switch to the OFF position before the RPMs reached the lowest level.
From what I am reading this would keep the higher throttle position in memory causing it to run higher rpms on the next start.

I also may have turned the ignition switch to ON prior to starting the bike when I was backing it out of the garage.
In doing so I could have twisted the throttle slightly before pushing the start button.

I am now going to be more aware of what I am doing when moving, starting and stopping the bike and try not to move the throttle in any way.

My 08 FLHX is also equipped with (EITMS) Engine Idle Management System. Once again this is a new feature that I was not familiar with.
With the ignition switch on and you ROLL OFF the throttle past the neutral position and hold it for longer then 3 seconds the cruise indicator lamp will flash GREEN showing EITMS is enabled or flash RED showing disabled.

I have had this happen a few times since the 1000 mile service. When mine starts to idle at 2000 and wont drop i shutthe bike off,turn off radio. I then turn the the ignition on then off wait 10 seconds repeat 4 times. Bike starts and idles great after that. I also have gotten into the habit of not starting the bike with the radio on.

This has worked everytime to drop idle

yea, i had the same thing on my 08 roadking. there is a simple quick reset. turn your ignition on with your run switch off. roll the throttle wide open slowly 3 times. turn your ignition off. turn your run switch on, then your ignition on and start your bike. your local dealer should know this. as far as i know there is no recall for this problem yet but most likely there will be.

Same issue on my 08 SG but only once so far.

I was told by my salesman that if you roll the throttle too far forward (past roll off) it can cause the fly by wire to malfunction. I simply turned off all electronics, and with the bike off, turned the ignition on and off 4 times without starting it. On the 5th turn-on...started it. Problem solved and hasn't returned since.

I remember exactally when I rolled the throttle too far forward. I was turning around in a gravel driveway that was slanted. I know this is what caused the problem and I'm glad Marley had covered it with me at time of delivery.

It works...trust me.

08 RK Classic with 1700 miles on it in 3 months . Never a problem w/ the idle . My owners manuel also has the directions to enable/disable the EITMS controll on page 140.

I have a 2008 EG that did the high idle thing. I read I thought on this forum how to fix and how to keep it from happening again. What I read was to turn your ignition on for 10 seconds or wait until the fuel priming stops then turn it off. Do this 4 times to reset the idle. The key here now is to after your ride not to turn your bike off until it idles down because the bike will remember where it was idling at shut down. I started waiting for the engine to idle down before shutting down and haven't had a problem since...

I have an 08 Ultra and the same thing has happened to me several times. The dealer told me that the throttle remembers the last position when you turned off the bike and remembers that position as neutral. He said to keep you hand off the throttle when you turn off the bike. I have done that and the problem still occurs.

I don't know about keeping your hand off the throttle when you shut the bike down...but...I've found that if you don't touch the throttle at all when you start the bike, all seems to work fine. It seems that even just resting your hand on the throttle at start can cause the bke to idle a bit high.

Just wanted to "second" doc's statement. Same exact thing happened to me (2008 Road Glide) and my dealer suggested the same cycling of the ignition 5 times. It solved the problem.

It seems as though this is an unfortunate potential side effect in the electronics that "auto-sense" the Air-fuel mix and idle speed (which allows us to make those HUGE elevation changes on our long rides without having to adjust the mix ourselves manually - any of the "old iron" riders remember having to do this!) :) It's not the electronics are malfunctioning...They just "average" things out. THAT is why you have to cycle it 5 times.

Crazy, huh? :):newsmile011:

Same issue on my 08 SG but only once so far.

I was told by my salesman that if you roll the throttle too far forward (past roll off) it can cause the fly by wire to malfunction. I simply turned off all electronics, and with the bike off, turned the ignition on and off 4 times without starting it. On the 5th turn-on...started it. Problem solved and hasn't returned since.

I remember exactally when I rolled the throttle too far forward. I was turning around in a gravel driveway that was slanted. I know this is what caused the problem and I'm glad Marley had covered it with me at time of delivery.

It works...trust me.

Back