free website stats program 2008 Electronic Throttle | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 Electronic Throttle

Well it is still doing it, but I have found that if I turn my radio off before I turn the ignition off it dose'nt idle high. And if I leave the radio on it will idle up to 2000 rpm or more. However they did tell me to turn the ignition on and off 4 times, this resets the throttle posistion sensor. It is just a quick fix. The next time I start it up it may do it again. I have had the bike to the Harley dealer 3 times over this. They say H-D is working on a fix for this but there is not one right now. The dealer also says that they have had other bikes doing this. One of the salesmen working there says his new bike did it at first, but after he had his 1000 mile service it ran fine. So I am still waiting for HD to fix a problem that should have been fixed before they brought out the new bikes.

My 08 Roadglide was idling at 2000 ,but i thought it was more to do with intake sensors picking up alot of cold air. The outside air was in the low 50's.

I had a similar problem with my 2008 Road Glide. I had unknowingly enabled the EITMS (enging idle temperature management system). This is described on page 140 of the touring model owners manual. I reset it according to the listed procedure and it corrected the problem.
I had turn that on and off to just seee how it was done and my glide hasn'e idles funny since..

500 miles on it

Had something simular happen a about an hour ago. Started it up and the idle was steady at 1900.Bike was warm only rode 2 miles to a resturant.Twisted the throttle back and held it for a few seconds,idle went down to 1000 and stayed there

HHHMMM

My 08 Roadglide has had this problem steady now for the past 75 miles. Now throttlein back doesn't calm it down. I'm calling the dealer to see what line of bs they will try out on me. I don't like dropping 20 grand for something then have it go T.U. in 2 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you go to get service make sure the problem shows on the trouble ticket or they will not accept it for the lemon law ! after the third time you have leverage!

I move d the bike into the shop when i go to work. after it sat for an hour or so i started it up and the danm idle is staying down. Rode it around a few min in the parking lot and the idle stayed at1000/1100. It would be nice to have it happen when i got to the service dept.

Still going to give them a call

I bought a 2008 Road Glide one month ago. I have brought it back to the dealer 4 times for the same exact electronic throttle problem. Engine revs at 2200 rpms after 2-3 rides. The dealership put it on the computer to re-set the throttle 3 times. The 4th time I DEMANDED a new bike. Guess what, I picked up my NEW 2008 Road Glide 4 days ago and it's perfect. HD will have a huge problem with this defective electronic throttle.

I bought a 2008 Road Glide one month ago. I have brought it back to the dealer 4 times for the same exact electronic throttle problem. Engine revs at 2200 rpms after 2-3 rides. The dealership put it on the computer to re-set the throttle 3 times. The 4th time I DEMANDED a new bike. Guess what, I picked up my NEW 2008 Road Glide 4 days ago and it's perfect. HD will have a huge problem with this defective electronic throttle.

As with anything else that's new to the model, there's going to be problems. I have a feeling that HD will go back to the old system in time because of liability problems and mechanical problems that are going to cost them too much money. Most dealers have enough problems diagnosing simple things and this would be over their head IMO from what I have seen. These DBW throttles have been around for a long time but Harley just incorporated them into the 08 bikes.

Possibly it was the battery tender getting pinched and grounding out. they replaced the battery tender cable. Seems to be ok so far

You would think that is something to check before they sell the bikes

I have a 2008 Street Glide with the electronic throttle.When I left the dealer it ran fine untill we stopped to eat. When I started it up the idle went up to 2000 RPM. It dropped back to 1500 RPM, it should idle at 1000 to 1100 RPM. It ran that way the rest of the day. The next time I rode it idled just fine. It has done this several more times and now has about 600 miles on it. This happens every 3rd or 4th time I go to start it up. I have had it to the dealer 3 times for this. They say that they cant find anything wrong with it. The last time they had it for 2 weeks. Has this happened to anyone else? The dealer says mabe it will quit on its own. This dosen't make sense to me. Any input would be helpfull.

I have an 08 Ultra with 2700 miles on it now and it does the same thing. Every 3rd or 4th time I start bike, it races to 2500 and then idles fast at 2000 rpm and after riding for about 2 minutes, it goes away and bike idles fine for the rest of the day. I thought that this was wrong but since it went away after a couple of minutes of riding , I just seem to forget about it till it does it again. I don't want to go back to dealer cause I am sure they will tell me it is fine and will not be able to duplicate condition. Or, maybe they will tell me "THEY ALL DO IT" as I have heard that somewhere before!:dknow

Hello everyone,
First post and it did not take me long to find others with the same problem.

I just purchased an 08 SG and had around 350 miles when I also noticed the engine revving to around 2000 rpm when stopped.

I had been riding the bike earlier in the day without issue and the air temp was around 70. I was on my way to work and I noticed when I would stop in traffic with the clutch pulled in the engine would idle at 2000 rpm. I shifted the bike in neutral and it still idled high even with the clutch out. I decided to pull into a parking lot and I turned the RUN/OFF switch to OFF and then turned the ignition switch to OFF.
I turned the ignition switch on and flipped the switch to RUN and started the motorcycle. The throttle turned freely but it still was idling to high. I could turn the throttle forward and it would come down a few rpms but would climb back up if released or when I turn it to increase the rpms.
For those who are not familiar with the new Electronic Throttle Control the grip actually turns forward slightly. This is one way how you can cancel the cruise control.

I continued on to work and it was still doing this and I even tried to turn it off and on one more time in the parking lot before entering work but it continued.

8 hours later it ran fine. it was idling at around 1000 rpms when stopped at lights. The temp was in the 40s.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????

Back