free website stats program 2008 883L Won't Start | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 883L Won't Start

Get a fire Extinguisher handy, Get a spray bottle and put some gas in it, Spray a bit in the air cleaner, move gas safely away from bike, see if it fires and runs for a short time, this should narrow it down to a fuel delivery problem. I would do this out side and only one time, JMO

Jack's way is more economical, I always use a can of starter spray fluid in a can for that. Works great on my lawn mowers.

Jack's way is more economical, I always use a can of starter spray fluid in a can for that. Works great on my lawn mowers.

Dave, we ran an old Moped on a can of starting fluid it ran fast but not very long:p

Jack I thought you were going to tell me to burn it. Went home and tried it again and it would not start, so I thought I would check the price of a new fuel filter and pump. I think it would be cheaper to burn it, fuel filter $93.00, fuel pump $295.00.
But I was going to do just what you were suggesting i pulled the air filter and was going to use starter fulid to see if it would start. After I pulled the air filter I decided to try it, and would you know it started. The filter was a little dirty but not that dirty. So tried it this morning with the ari filter installed it started. Back to square one.

Hello crfarrow my 08 883 sporter is doing the same thing as yours, did you ever find what the issue was?? mine was a fuel issue , my pump sounds strong.

Hello crfarrow my 08 883 sporter is doing the same thing as yours, did you ever find what the issue was?? mine was a fuel issue , my pump sounds strong.
HD08XL070.gif
here is your fuel pump #7 is the pressure regulator, the pump may sound strong but if the regulator is weak this could be your problem

08 883L wouldn't start
Ok went out to start my 08 883 low and turned on the switch, turned on the kill switch, pressed the starter and it turned over and fired once, tried again several times and it would not start. Checked for a spark at the plugs and had plenty of spark, fuel pump runs. So drove truck to work came home and tried again it would not start. so I pulled the master fuse and let set for a while, tried it again and still won't start. Pulled the plugs and was going to check for spark at plugs. Whe I tried to get a spark thru plugs there was none (before you ask it the plugs were grounded to the engine). Removed the fuel tank and coil pack ohm'd out the coil pack on opens in coils, reassembled the coil and put fuel tank back on. Just for grins decided to check for a spark with the plugs reinstalled, put tester in coil wire and both wires produced a strong spark, reinstalled spark plug wires and tried to start and wouldn't you know it it started. Drove it around no problems, drove it to work this morning and no problems.
Any suggestions or anybody else had problem like this?

Ok here it is Monday morning 5 days after it would not start the first time and it will not start again. It will try and start but after a couple of times it doesn’t try any more. I have good spark to both plugs. Pulled the fuel line from the tank and reconnected, it will try and start but then after a couple of rev it will not try and start at all. Anybody have similar problems?

I don't know if you have a key fob but I had this same thing happen to me and the key fob battery was dead. Went to walmart and replaced and it fired right up.

Do you have a security system with key fob? This happened to me. The key fob battery was dead. I went to Walmart and got a replacement and it started right up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back