free website stats program 2008 883L Won't Start | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 883L Won't Start

crfarrow

08 883L wouldn't start
Ok went out to start my 08 883 low and turned on the switch, turned on the kill switch, pressed the starter and it turned over and fired once, tried again several times and it would not start. Checked for a spark at the plugs and had plenty of spark, fuel pump runs. So drove truck to work came home and tried again it would not start. so I pulled the master fuse and let set for a while, tried it again and still won't start. Pulled the plugs and was going to check for spark at plugs. Whe I tried to get a spark thru plugs there was none (before you ask it the plugs were grounded to the engine). Removed the fuel tank and coil pack ohm'd out the coil pack on opens in coils, reassembled the coil and put fuel tank back on. Just for grins decided to check for a spark with the plugs reinstalled, put tester in coil wire and both wires produced a strong spark, reinstalled spark plug wires and tried to start and wouldn't you know it it started. Drove it around no problems, drove it to work this morning and no problems.
Any suggestions or anybody else had problem like this?

Ok here it is Monday morning 5 days after it would not start the first time and it will not start again. It will try and start but after a couple of times it doesn’t try any more. I have good spark to both plugs. Pulled the fuel line from the tank and reconnected, it will try and start but then after a couple of rev it will not try and start at all. Anybody have similar problems?

The first thing I would try (after cleaning and make sure all starter and battery connections are tight) would be to have the battery load tested.

Well there is another thread of a guy with kinda similar symtons and his ICM ended up being bad. Hopefully we can find something else with yours since that's gonna bang you for $2xx.xx units of pain.

Are you saying it ALWAYS turns over but not always is the engine starting correct ?

It will turn over and continue to turn over with the starter, some times it will try to start , you continue to turn over the engine with the starter. Pulled the spark plug wires and checked the ignition and it has plenty of spark. (can curl your hair)

From what you say, it sounds like you are lacking fuel delivery to the cylinders. What have you done to check fuel delivery so far?

Not much other than removing the fuel hose from the tank. Do not have an adaptor to connect and check the fuel pressure, have a fuel pressure gauge but not an adaptor to connect to the fuel line.

Do you know if HD has had problems with the fuel pumps or fuel filters with 2008 sportster models?

Last edited by a moderator:
Glider brings up a good point. If it's turning over and not firing at all, try pulling a plug and smell for fuel. Crude yes but I'm old school.

I also did some checking, the other thread's was a 99 model. With yours the icm is incorporated with the ECM, it's doubtful your ECM if failing given your age of the bike.

Thanks, I will have to find a way to check the fuel pressure and go from there I think. If anyone has ideas please send them.

Keep in mind that if you have the fuel pressure that you also need flow too as in quantity to make it run. A clogged filter may give you pressure but not flow.

Back