free website stats program 2007 Road King 103" Stalling at Idle When Hot | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 Road King 103" Stalling at Idle When Hot

Jeff; thanks for that info.
I already changed the IAC out based on info from my first thread about 3 weeks ago.
I visually checked the ports and they looked pretty good. Blew some carb cleaner through it anyway.
Thought I had the problem licked but yesterday on a medium ride it flared up again as bad as ever.
I am thinking that both the original and the new IAC operate as they should, but the ECM reflash suggested in bulletin 410 apparently re-calibrates the IAC logic. I need to find a copy of bulletin 410 to see if it sounds like it might help.
Thanks,
Rod

HD08FXST013.gif

#7 is your cylinder temperature sensor. Check the search section, read up on symptoms of a faulty temp sensor.

Okey Dokey, Have you checked for any air leaks around the intake and throttle body?
Jeff; from what I understand if I had an intake leak it would be getting too much air and the idle speed would be too high, even with the IAC pintle completely closed, right? My problem of course is the exact opposite of that. Insufficient air.
Jack, thanks for that TT410 bulletin. Interesting read. I had no idea there was an idle stop screw on these. I assumed that the throttle BF was fully closed at idle, with the IAC supplying all idle air. I will have to check the set screw and see if it shows any evidence of having moved at all. I have no way of checking the 0.57 volts TPS voltage however, so perhaps the dealer will have to do that. Also I will talk to them about downloading a new version of the ECM map with the mentioned re-calibrated IAC strategy.
Thanks also for the view of the cyl head temp sender. I see no code suggesting that it is wonky, but I will read up in the self help section. Back several years I had trouble with that same sender on a '98 RK EVO. Replaced it and all good again. Are there check resistance values published for ambient and normal oper temp?
Thanks for all your help.
Pete, I got the info you resent, thanks very much.

I also tried to find info on Tech. Service Bull. #410 and came up empty. Try this site with your Vin.#.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/con...wners/maintain-your-bike/service-recalls.html
HDDon; thanks for the link. I searched my vin and came up dry. No recalls and no service bulletins. Nice to know how to do that though! ;)
Rod

#7 is your cylinder temperature sensor. Check the search section, read up on symptoms of a faulty temp sensor.
Jeff; did the suggested search but did not come up with anything useful.
I think my cyl temp sensor is working OK because it starts easily and runs nicely when cold and has the typical rich mixture smell to the exhaust. That goes away when it is warmed up, just like normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Intake leak will be most noticed when hot.Will stumble near idle.Usually doesn't stall but who knows how bad the leak is?

Certainly won't hurt to check. At this point it's a process of elimination.
Yes good point. I will give it a check with my trusty carb cleaner, the wonder drug!
I am gonna call the local (50 miles away) HD dealer also and see how bad they will burn me to reflash the ECM.
Darn, this looks like something that CAN'T be fixed with duct tape! :(

Progress, sort of.
Tried the carb cleaner intake test; looks like no leaks anywhere. Dead end there.
Thought I would play with the throttle idle stop screw, but of course it is a Torx with a center pin, such that a standard Torx bit won't fit it. It needs a bit with a relief hole drilled in the end, which I don't have. HD obviously don't want you fiddling with it. Looks like off to the dealer for a scalping. :eek:
Now the question is do I get the standard 96" download and leave the PC III tuner intact, or do I get the 103" Stage II download and remove the PC III for now? Hhmmm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back