free website stats program 2006 FXDL/I 6th Gear Indicator | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 FXDL/I 6th Gear Indicator

That is strange. Since the "WOW" test shows you do have the LED and it is wired your more than 1/2 way there. It seems to imply all your missing is the firmware/software in the ECM in order for it to work.

That 6th speed light is not turned on with a simple gear position transmission switch. The ECM knows the ground speed of the bike by the Vehicle Speed sensor (VSS). It also knows the engine RPM through the crank sensor. Therefore as long as the clutch is engaged, when the ECM sees the "proper match" of ground speed vs RPM, it determines you MUST be in 6th speed. Example=> 2250 RPM with a ground speed of 70 MPH is a proper match so you must be in 6th. At that time, the ECM sends serial data over the bus to tell the speedo to turn on the 6th speed light. The speedo now slaves that command and turns on the light.
(Hence the reason I asked about the primary sprocket change. By doing that you would loose the possible "match" combination)

Now if your clutch lever switch was bad and was not telling the ECM that you were "coupled", the light just may not come on. I am not sure if the speedo disregards "matches" if the clutch lever switch is not closed. Probably does in order to prevent the 6th gear light from blinking since you will have "matches" for split seconds as you shift different gears .

Now,, that same clutch lever switch allows you to start the bike when it is in gear as long as the clutch lever is pulled in. You may want to perform that simple test to see if the switch is communicating with the ECM.

If you find that the clutch lever switch is working, I would then say the software in the ECM is missing.

Who knows,, just a theory.:)

Appreciate all the help. I just looked in the Service Manual wiring diagram and don't see any indicator light wiring in the speedo for "6th Gear". Now I'll really hit you with some strange stuff. I can go in and do a set up to read the trouble codes (DTC) by having start/run switch in run, holding trip reset button down, and turning key on to ignition, this momentarily turns on all indicator lights and needle makes a full sweep before the "Diag" message comes on.... well gues what light comes on in the speedo during this process............you guessed it, the 6th Gear indicator light comes on bright and green. I'm pretty well confused at this point. Never had the light up to this point, don't expect I'll have it any time soon.

thanks all

Maybe previous owner needed a new speedo, got the newer model one, but never re-programmed the ECM. Maybe HD can help you out there.

Jetfixer,

If your ride is a stock 2002 sportster, it did not come with a six speed transmission, my 2007 did not have a six speed. I understand that 2011 is the first year it is being offered.

Appreciate everyones feedback on the 6th gear light. Went to the HD Dealer and asked the tech about the light. He knew exactly what I was talking about and was quick in telling me the 6th Gear Light did not come out until the 2007 model. Major factor in introducing the light on the 2007 model was a differenct ECM. The ECM is programmed to recognize speed and RPM values to turn on the light. I ask if a 2007 ECM would work on a 2006 model and the tech really didn't seem to know of sure. He did say it would cost $150 to remap a new ECM but didn't think ECMs were interchangeable between 2006 and 2007 models.

I have an 06 Wideglide, it does not have the 6th gear indicator light.

I have an 07 Street Bob, it does have the 6th gear indicator light.

I do not think the light came on the speedo in 06 or it may have been a late model year addition. I got the 06 Wide Glide 09/05.

But it does appear to have a cruise control symble at the 8 O'clock position, you can only see it when you run the WOW test.

Back