free website stats program 2005 Frt Calipers on a 99 RK? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 Frt Calipers on a 99 RK?

I agree the HD brakes work great(but have issues). The link was just trying to point out there are alot of complaints about soft front brakes. Google it there are tons. They are not soft when the bike is new. They are not soft because of fluid(unless air is in the lines). I am relaying my real first hand experience. My front brake lever would pull nearly to the bar. I researched it, found a solution. After trying other things:small3d023:. The first time I cleaned the caliper pistons, they felt like new brakes. Maybe an 1/8" brake pull. It is a downfall to HD brakes. Also dangerous. Noise is also a downfall squeeeeek. HD solution around 2006 HD flipped the front rotors rotation backwards as a solution to the noise problem. 2008 they solved all the problems with Bremo brakes. I have a single piston bannna caliper on my shovelhead(never upgrade, no plan to). No problem stopping with it either. The front brake lever does not get soft on it and its 30 years old(unless it looses fluid).

If I "were" going to upgrade a bike, I would not upgrade to the 2005 HD brakes, but the newer Bremo(sp). My original post. (Beating a dead horse smilie here)

Thanks all for the replies. The main reason I'm looking to do this is for increased braking power. I have Brembos on my KTM950 and they are easily the best brakes I've had on any bike I've owned. If I can score a set of Brembos from a 08 or up and it is a relatively easy swap, I'll do it and enjoy the benefits.

Very costly change as a first time Hd owner some thing to think about.
HD is not now nor will it ever be a metric, the only thing the two share in common is two wheels. You will no more turn a Hd into a meteric thatn you will turn a metric into a HD.
Enjoy your ride you have an very nice touring bike one of the best in the world by an standard even if it is 10 years old. There are more old Hd still on the road today than any other ride out there. There is a reason

A metric cruiser is the last thing I wanted. Or else I would've got a Road Star with holes drilled in the mufflers and a pirate suit to go with it!:D I knew I was ready for a bagger and wanted the real thing.

Back