free website stats program 2005 Frt Calipers on a 99 RK? | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 Frt Calipers on a 99 RK?

SeaBass67

Are they a straight swap? How much increased stopping power do the 4 pots have over the original 2 pots on the 99?

(I saw the Brembo retrofit but I ain't got that kind of green right now!!)

They are not a straight swap. Someone used to sell a retrofit mounting bracket that would facilitate this....... Can't remember who that was.

Do the 99 calipers have a problem with the pistons getting gummed up and making the front brakes feel like they need to be bleed?

The 2005 setup will. Bad design, everytime you change pads you have to clean the pistons.

Do the 99 calipers have a problem with the pistons getting gummed up and making the front brakes feel like they need to be bleed?

The 2005 setup will. Bad design, everytime you change pads you have to clean the pistons.

So from 2000 til present, what year would be the best 4 pot calipers to retrofit for more stopping power?

You do not have to rebuild them. But while you are changing pads why would you not clean the pistons. Or at least, check them. They gum up gradual so you might think they are working right. All four pistons should move an equal amount when you pull the lever. Easy enough to check. Be prepared to clean, if you have road enough miles to wear the pads down. I would be really surprised if at least one of the pistons were not stuck.

There is not a boot or anything else to stop road dust, brake dust, etc. from getting in the pistons.

This procedure is pretty good. For cleaning the pistons

Lyndall Racing Brakes - The worlds best Brake Pads Composite Rotors --- Home ---

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not replace my brakes, and have no plan too. But I would not change pad without cleaning the pistons.

I was just suggesting to the op, if you are going to upgrade, you might as well upgrade without issues. Maybe you have not had the problem. But I have and others have had it. I have seen people take the bike to dealers to get brakes bleed and not solved problem. Depending on the dealer, maybe they are aware of the problem maybe not. All I can say is next time you change your pads, try it.

When it gets bad enough the front brake lever will pull halfway before the pistons start to engage the rotor. Might think you have a bad master cylinder or air in the lines you can't get out. It's a simple fix.

Lyndall is not trying to sell new brakes. They do sell great pads though.

I would being will to bet everyone I know that rides would wonder were this comes from this just more of that nothing on a Hd is any good it must all be replace with some after market part stuff.
HD barkes work fine and do not need to be replave with any six piston set or junk like that.
Some do it but that more of show and to make the bike different thatn any other reason.

I agree 100% smitty:bigsmiley29:

Back