free website stats program 2003 Road King Throttle Body | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 Road King Throttle Body

Part # 27603-01 Throttle Body Assembly. Isn't that a Magneti Marelli throttle body. If so, I could see why the part is hard to get. Harley doesn't have the part made for them. Another vendor comes into play right?
No different than all the Delphi sensors. Delphi can have production run issues and it's out of HD hands to a large degree.
My research shows MM as 1995 to 2001. I was pretty sure it ended in 01 but not sure at all when it started. One reference says it was an option in 95. Standard equip in 98 is my best guess.

I have my busted throttle body in hand and the TPS sensor that connects to it. The TPS sensor is MM, the throttle body (broken one) has
27600-01A 1893 B engraved in it. The new throttle body box has the 27603-01 on the label.

2003 FI is Delphi.

One of the reasons you could not find one, is you did not post your need here. It is possible that one of the good folks here has one lying about.

I'm just sayin'...

Every design has an achilles heel. Many times a specific weakness does not show up until quite a spell, but when it does show up, a large percentage of units manifest it. I have seen such in vintage audio restoration also. It is a good thng to be able to get the part at all, after a long period of time. Sometimes you just have to fabricate what you need.

In the old days, aftermarket mfgs. were on the job almost immediately. However, in the case of newer HDs, so much is kept proprietary, aftermarketers are having a hard time. Sometimes it is easier to get a part for a pan or knuckle-head than for a late-model twin-cam. That is so sad. And HD has decided not to sell its parts outside the franchise. That will bite them in the future.

I know it's frustrating. You'll be back on 2 wheels soon, then all will be well again.

Best of luck,
Rich P

Auto Makers are to keep parts available for ten years by law. Don't know if that applies to bikes though.

Yes that is true but your missing one VERY important point.

You buy a new car and after 2 years you need an internal spool valve for the automatic transmission. You go to the dealer and they show you the exploded view of the transmission. You identify the spool valve and order it at a cost of $11.25. It comes in 5 days later and you install it.
You say, Life is beautiful. These Honda's are GREAT!!

Eight years pass and you need another spool valve. You go to the dealer and pinpoint that same spool valve to the counter man. He goes to order it and the system says "order next higher assembly". Guess what, the next higher assembly is the entire transmission at a cost of $3200. Sure the part is still available, but you can't afford it.

Been there and done that and I am still mad about it. It's a loophole for the manufacturer. That saying "parts are available for 10 years" is a joke. Your dealing with companies that have mastered the art of planned obsolescence.
Their going to get that car off the road whether you like it or not.

Yes that is true but your missing one VERY important point.

You buy a new car and after 2 years you need an internal spool valve for the automatic transmission. You go to the dealer and they show you the exploded view of the transmission. You identify the spool valve and order it at a cost of $11.25. It comes in 5 days later and you install it.
You say, Life is beautiful. These Honda's are GREAT!!

Eight years pass and you need another spool valve. You go to the dealer and pinpoint that same spool valve to the counter man. He goes to order it and the system says "order next higher assembly". Guess what, the next higher assembly is the entire transmission at a cost of $3200. Sure the part is still available, but you can't afford it.

Been there and done that and I am still mad about it. It's a loophole for the manufacturer. That saying "parts are available for 10 years" is a joke. Your dealing with companies that have mastered the art of planned obsolescence.

I might add it seems to be the same with TOOLS, try to match up a specialty wrench or socket any more, sounds to me like their way of controlling the market, if we need or want it bad enough we will have to pay Good Point Hoop:s

Jack, I bought a self propel wake behind Honda lawnmowers that cost me like $1200. All I heard was "Oh this baby is built and will last a lifetime".
After 4 years I wore out the universal joint on the rear wheel drive. I have the parts manual for it and it shows the universal joint as a separate part.
I go down there with part number in hand. Guy tells me it's only available as a complete transmission. Sure,, the part is available but who's dumping $350 into a tranny.

Now that's why I like Sears. Man they keep parts available for a long time. I have a Sears chain saw that I bought in the late '80s. They still have several parts for that unit. I love Sears.

I wish I didn't have to keep it clean. I could go ape on Honda..

Hoop, Did you try repair clinic.com or jackssmallengine.com., that is where I get my mower parts from.
WAP.gif

Alright guys. Here's the latest. My dealer called me today and told me that Harley contacted them with a new release date for the part. What was originally 8-20-12 has now turned into 9-14-12. That really (EDIT), but fine. At least they decided to give SOME info. I guess that's what bothered me the most. The lack of communication on their part. After all, I already paid for the part. They have their money. It's a shame that this situation can't be handled better on their end and make more of an effort to appease the people that are keeping their pockets filled with money.

So. Now the bike will sit for over a month. Not good. I thought about brazing the part but I am pretty freaked out about sucking something into the motor and making it worse.

This part goes out to Mr. Amish Hawg. I owe you a beer! (Maybe 2) I called Buds in Austin. He was holding one in his hand as we spoke. He told me he was going to have one of his guys go over the part and make sure it was good, since it was used, and call me back to get the info he needs to ship it out. I asked if it was warrantied and he said yes. That is why they want to give it the once over. Mr. Hawg. Thank you, thank you. If anyone else needs to contact buds, here is the number: 512-472-8658. Props go out to them!
(I am still going to go thru with my order from HD and keep that one for a spare. I don't want to go thru this again.) BTW $175.00 from HD. Buds wants $90.00.

I would just like to add that this is a great website and everyone on it has got my respect. This website has gotten me thru some pretty major repairs this year by just reading posts from others experiences. After I completed finding and fixing a leak on my Road King, (2 days before heading out to Colorado and putting 3200 miles on in 6 days), I intended to give step-by-step, detailed instructions on replacing the mainshaft quad seal. It was pretty involved for a shadetree mechanic. I had to fabricate specialized tools, etc. Somehow, I just got busy with life and never got around to posting my instructions. Since then, I have done 2 other bikes with the same problem. But, my point is, that this website is a great tool and I probably couldn't have done the job myself without it. Thanks to everyone!

To all, if your travels ever take you to Minnesota. Let's ride and go have one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news! That is what this place is all about. Helping each other (respectfully). Yet another success story for HDT.
Props to Amish Hawg!

This site and the people on it have helped me out more than one can imagine, glad my 2 cents could help.

Just one favor - Let us (me) know how it goes putting that on. In my struggle to diagnose, I let the dealer put mine on. Im just curious how it goes.

Im coming up on 35k miles, Im feeling it in my bones and when I sit on her, Im going to be spending a lot of time on here getting her right.

hard to believe, looks like rain in the DFW area today......good time to start tooling up and shoppin tires.

Ya'll have a great weekend....be safe

Back