free website stats program 2003 883 gas leak ????'s | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 883 gas leak ????'s

So I have taken the carb apart and cleaned it this evening. It appears the float is in good condition and not sticking, and additionally, the needle appears to be in good shape. That being said I am not sure what the needle is supposed to look like but it appears to be moving smoothly and there is no damage or dirt on it. The jets appear to be in good shape also. The just were clear and there was no sign of damage.

Hopefully I can put it back together and replace the hoses and problem solved...

If there is anything else I must check or replace please let me know. Bodeen mentioned a rebuild kit? Should I buy one just for the gaskets even if the needle and such looks good? Is it dumb to just replace the needle float and jets since I have it all apart and the bike as 12k miles on it?

My next question is I live in Denver and Vail which is anywhere from 5280 to 11000 ft. The bike was an 800 but has been rebuilt to the 1200. I guess the cylinder and pistons are just replaced??? Either way, should I have a specific jet in the carb? The 1200 upgrade was done by Rocky Mountain HD, so I imagine the Jets would be correct but I don't know. The large jet says 160 and the smaller one 29.

As you have the carb apart and it is 9 years old i would change the float needle as the rubber tip hardens and may even develop a ridge and fail to seal correctly modern fuels are harder on the rubber tip
it does sound as though your jets are wee bit on the small side i would expect the slow jet to be a 42 or 44 and the main to be a 170 or 175 i was not aware that any less than a 40 was used as the main jet but the 160 would be around correct for the 883
with the increase in cylinder capacity and the additional air that is supplied by the hypercharger i would be looking at larger jets as you may be running lean which is not good for long life of the engine

Brian

So I have taken the carb apart and cleaned it this evening. It appears the float is in good condition and not sticking, and additionally, the needle appears to be in good shape. That being said I am not sure what the needle is supposed to look like but it appears to be moving smoothly and there is no damage or dirt on it. The jets appear to be in good shape also. The just were clear and there was no sign of damage.

Hopefully I can put it back together and replace the hoses and problem solved...

If there is anything else I must check or replace please let me know. Bodeen mentioned a rebuild kit? Should I buy one just for the gaskets even if the needle and such looks good? Is it dumb to just replace the needle float and jets since I have it all apart and the bike as 12k miles on it?

My next question is I live in Denver and Vail which is anywhere from 5280 to 11000 ft. The bike was an 800 but has been rebuilt to the 1200. I guess the cylinder and pistons are just replaced??? Either way, should I have a specific jet in the carb? The 1200 upgrade was done by Rocky Mountain HD, so I imagine the Jets would be correct but I don't know. The large jet says 160 and the smaller one 29.

Fin has got you covered on jet sizes and it wouldn't hurt to replace the float needle while in there. I would also squirt a little carb cleaner through all the ports. Take the jets out and clean those ports real well. If the gaskets appear to be good, put it back together and see what happens. The worse thing that happens is you have to take it back off and work on it again. You are already miles ahead of where you were, you can now take it off yourself. There is alse a routine that adjusts the float level so it fills the bowl to the proper level. If you had an HD service manual for your bike, it steps you right through the process. It would be a good idea to check this while its apart. Somebody else may chime in with memory of the procedure. I have to refer to the manual every time.
When I had carb troubles on my new bike, I felt like it was on a zipper. I had it on and off a lot. That is also how I found this place and this great group of people.

Does this carb have an accelerator pump? If so did you check the diaphragm? If the diaphragm has a hole in it, it will leak gas from the shaft.

Does this carb have an accelerator pump? If so did you check the diaphragm? If the diaphragm has a hole in it, it will leak gas from the shaft.

Excellent point it could squirt some fuel on to the right as the 2003 will have an accelerator pump

Brian

So hopefully there will be images post quickly. I have have the carb cleaned rebuilt and on the bike.

There is hose coming out of the bottom of the bowl. I think it is just an overflow tube that should be directed down and toward the back of the bike. Is this correct?

Also there is another section of tubing shown in the pictures above the carb. The tubing is leading from the bike not sure what from and is connected to nothing. There is a "y"in the tubing and the branched off piece connects to the top of the carb, but I am not sure where the other line connects. The end of the line is stretched a little so I assume it was connected to something at some point. Any ideas?

Hopefully have it taken care of tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

The hose out of the float bowl is an overflow and should be directed to exit under the bike
the y shaped bits of pipe i think are the vacuum pipes that should be connected to the back side of the carb the petcock and the voes this pipe directs vacuum created in the carb to operate the petcock and the voes (vacuum operated electronic switch) which alters the ignition timing in direct relationship to carb loading

Brian

Well I'm sure everyone is tired of this thread and the newbie. I hate to say thread closed but just took the sporty for a ride and so far so good. No noticeable gas leak at this point. Thank you everyone for your help.

It is always good to hear that a problem is solved and that a member has been able to resolve the problem with our help and without the cost of taking to the dealer

Brian

Back