free website stats program 2003 100th anniv (1) gun metal blue (1) silver and black HELP!!!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 100th anniv (1) gun metal blue (1) silver and black HELP!!!!

Hey doc. You make it sound like a chore to ride. QUOTE: "you're the one that HAS to ride it every day".:bigsmiley32:

C'mon - you know what I meant. If you simply follow someone else's recommendation and later wish you had gotten the other one, you'll be grumpy every time you walk up to your bike and climb aboard. Second guessing, buyer's remorse - call it whatever you want. It'll creep in if you simply do what others tell you and don't follow your own heart!

Just want to thank everyone for their input, what I want to know about the most is fuel injected vs carb. Which one is the best of those two options.

Thanks

John go with what makes you the most comfortable. Dont forget you can change everything on a bike but not what you pay for it or the miles on it. Both are execllent rides. Anything 2003 is good to have. It is easyier to maintan hard bags than soft ones and there is not much difference in price or miles to have any impact. Go with what makes you say "wow I like that"

Ok I have a carb on my 2000 Softail and have not had any problems with it. however I have ridden FI bikes and it is a smother ride. Dont forget when you get preformance pipes, or air filter you will need to have your FI or Carb adjusted to handle the added air.

Thank you for that info. I;ll probably go with the gun metal blue. It is sweet!! I think I can deal with the carb. I know I won't be riding in winter.

I would go with fuel injection. All good advice from everyone, buy the bike that your heart tells you to.

After you customize it to your liking, it will be the one that looks better than all the other bikes on the showroom floor.

That is how I feel about my bike. I was in the HD dealer's showroom on Friday. I was thinking, "I like my bike better than every single bike in here."

That's what I'm talking about!:bigsmiley20:

I'm sure glad I have a carbed bike when my stator failed and left me with a dead battery up in the boonies!
I was able to push start it and get her home.
My mechanic told me that you can't push start an injected bike.

C'mon - you know what I meant. If you simply follow someone else's recommendation and later wish you had gotten the other one, you'll be grumpy every time you walk up to your bike and climb aboard. Second guessing, buyer's remorse - call it whatever you want. It'll creep in if you simply do what others tell you and don't follow your own heart!

hey I was just joking with you. Yes i knew what you were saying.

Thank you for that info. I;ll probably go with the gun metal blue. It is sweet!! I think I can deal with the carb. I know I won't be riding in winter.

Two trains of thought working here regarding Carb vs EFI...advantages:

EFI - Upside: It is the wave of the future, virtually maintenance free, virtually no warm up, consistant A/F mixture over entire RPM range. Limited aftermarket support, some "supplement" HD factory specs / EPA certified standards, but only a few are certified to do so legally, and enforcement of smog and sound emissions mandated testing is coming.
Downside: expensive to work on and tune to get sorted if A/F changes are needed such as Stage I mods. Complexity, requires high pressure fuel pump, fuel lines and relative black art of 2D & 3D mapping is "daunting" due to all the sensors and electronics used to support it and all must be in working order or dead bike, a low or dead battery also means the "end of the party...if far from home"

Carb - Upside: Old school, less complexity, does not require electrical power, easier to "tune" and less expensive over the life of the bike. Plenty of aftermarket support, and things haven't changed much over a long, long time.
Downside: does require periodic maintenance or cleaning, as neoprene parts "groove" and deteriorate over shorter period of time over the life of the bike. May be harder to get parts for later on...but for now easy to obtain parts, deterioration is gradual and may go undetected until too late.

Which do I prefer - being "new" to the HD brotherhood, I opted for carb model, being a little "old school", opportunity, convenience, easiest to work on and be "one" with, and because it was the first one that pushed all the right buttons for me...decent out of the box performance, easiest to sort out Stage 1 mods, least amount of complexity. :s

Don't get me wrong, I love technology...the fact that it has electric start, breakerless ignition, oil wetted clutch, belt drive, rubber engine mounts and dual disc brakes...along with 85% of my old 93 Katana's sporting prowness, only with a more relaxed ride that I can share 2-up comfortably, there was little not to like. But as Dr. D said the choice is yours and I can only compliment you on your choice HD is #1 :D

Last edited:
If you are going to buy it, perhaps Stage I upgrade it and ride it, go with the EFI. If you are thinking of performance upgrades beyond Stage I, like more displacement, more compression, ported heads and longer cams, go with the carb.

Back