free website stats program 2001 FLHRCI Fuel Tank Cross-Over Line Rotted (Again) | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 FLHRCI Fuel Tank Cross-Over Line Rotted (Again)

RibEye

For the 2nd time since I have owned this beast, the fuel cross-over line has rotted, leaving me with 5 gallons of fuel under my scooter's enclosure, and all over my carport. This is a rather terrifying experience, not knowing how long it had been leaking. I essentially had a fuel-air bomb sharing the roof with all of my other possessions (my house).

I have not ridden her since we discovered that we had bedbugs (~ 9 months), so...

Good thing I did not do as I once did, back before I got married, many moons ago: park my scooter in the living room.

The first time, was with "quality" lines, with stainless steel braid. This time it was with Prestone rubber fuel line. For now, I'm going to replace the line with Prestone fuel injection rubber line.

What am I missing here? The line was not on there all that long. How can I prevent this, or at least prolong the time between events? The fellow at my local hot rod shop recommended that I just replace the line once per year. PTFE fuel line does not come with "push on" options.

Caviat: I have a quick disconnect in the middle of the line, which seals when disconnected, so I can remove the tank without siphoning the tank. That works great, but lines to it don't like fuel, even if I use fuel-specific line.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I have a friend who just suggested using Tygon fuel lines, since the dragsters he knows, which are not fuel injected, use it to spruce up the engine compartment and it seems to hold up well. Any thoughts?

Enjoy,
Rich P

Using fuel injection hose is what I would try.
We don't see this problem in the automotive world as it enters my shop unless it is a very old line on a carburetor vehicle.
Mostly I have found the pick up hose to screen inside the tank that rots away after 30 years.
I would think that the type of fuel is the cause.
Some times cleaning additives added in the fuel will deteriorate rubber lines.
Do you add anything to the gas as a fuel system cleaner?

Every so often, not often, I might add some Sea Foam to a tank of fuel. Other than that, nothing.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I would go with F.I. hose, I would avoid Tygon, it gets very hard with fuel & age. Does the main fuel line hold up well? Is it possible you have a critter in the garage that is attracted to the cross over?

If you can get Viton tubing use it, it will withstand fuel very well, that maybe what FI tubing is. As Breeze said do you have a critter problem.

Critters? We see allot of hose and electric wires eaten by them .
Had a marmot that crawled into the engine compartment got close to the exhaust manifold and got fried when the customer started the engine.
When the smoke began to rise up from under the hood she shut it off and had it towed to us. That was a challenge to remove do it swelling up.
Whoops nothing to do with the fuel line failure.
Is the hose showing lots of cracks and hard or just area's of nibbling?

The line is showing general rot and crumbling. No critter evidence, The inner hose is crumbled, teh outer hose has turned to as thinning gummy mess.

The old hose was J30R6. The hose I'll use while researching is J30R9.

Thanks,
Rich P

I would go with F.I. hose, I would avoid Tygon, it gets very hard with fuel & age. Does the main fuel line hold up well? Is it possible you have a critter in the garage that is attracted to the cross over?
It's a fuel injected engine, so the main fuel line is inside the tank, other than the fuel rail to the injectors. No issue there, that I know of.

I do intend to go in and see what condition my lines are inside the tank (rub marks, etc.), but first things first. Rub holes in the inside the tank lines should manifest in how she runs (rail pressure issues).

Enjoy,
Rich P.

Last edited by a moderator:
F38DBCC0-B664-40F5-B6D0-0BD18902E80D.png Do you use ethanol fuel?
I don’t know how much choice you have in your country, but ethanol coupled with no use of the vehicle is notorious for attacking fuel hose.
This picture is from an article by Nick Ienatsch regarding the perils of ethanol.
Looks like your issue.
Check out the option for fuel hose.

Last edited:
Back