free website stats program 2000 fatboy no spark | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 fatboy no spark

My 2000FXDS went thru 3 crank position sensor,,, Each time it was the same No spark and Mine quit when it quit and No restart.. If you Pull off the sensor by the oil filter and clean end Making sure it isn't contaminated with a small piece of metal(it's a magnet you know, sensing the Two Missing crank teeth)

I had both sensors(crank and cam) replaced under warranty once and the others(crank sensors) were on My dime...

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, since the bike has a carburetor and no ECM, does it even have DTC's or error codes? My guess is, if it does have diagnostics, it would be very limited. Would you happen to know? I couldn't find a whole lot about it.

Bubbie, since the bike has a carburetor and no ECM, does it even have DTC's or error codes? My guess is, if it does have diagnostics, it would be very limited. Would you happen to know? I couldn't find a whole lot about it.

My dyna showed Nothing for the crank sensor when it went bad... Yes the odometer does show codes numbers in a 10 test position I believe..

codes shown
12/MAP sensor
16/batt voltage
24/front ign coil
25/rear ing coil
35/Tach
41/crank sensor
42/cam sensor
44/bank angle sensor
52/RAM failure
53/ROM failure
54/EPROM failure
55/ign mod failure
56/cam position sensor and crank position sensor timing

I'm not sure how much the Scanalyzer is needed here but I do know I turned on the key after pressing in on the mileage clearer and the diagnostic test shows up on then..

Hope this helps , Out of my 2000 FXDS big book

signed....BUBBIE

Wow, Great info. That little ignition module does all that. That is a "Print & Save" for me!! Thanks!

yes my bike has the same code errors according to the book that bubbie is talking about. however it did not set a code and I am incline to agree with glider that since the problem comes and goes it doesnt set a code. I checked for error codes according to the shop manual and no code was set.

i will pull the crank sensor clean and check it out for cracks and wire connections issues

Last edited by a moderator:
If your clean of any codes, and you want a "shot in the dark" guess, I would go with the crank sensor.

Diagnostics can not catch a weak or cracked magnet in a crank sensor. Looking at it does not tell you much at all. They are little self contained generators.

Wow, Great info. That little ignition module does all that. That is a "Print & Save" for me!! Thanks!

As Long as you are saving,,

I'll list the Speedometer Trouble Codes..

these ar taken off the spedo like I said above Press mileage button hold in an Then turn on the key..

Code....................trouble...............................wire color-------------
d01--- speed sensor power output shorted low-------Red
d02--- speed sensor power output shorted high or open------Red
d03--- not used
d04--- not used
d05--- speed sensor return shorted high------White
d06--- speed sensor shorted low------White
d07--- not used
d08--- speedometer power overvoltage------White/Green
d09--- speed output shorted high------White/Green
d10--- speed output shorted low or open------White/Green
CAL 9--- Domestic speedometer application calibration number
CAL 10--- HDI speedometer application calibration number

Out of the book also..

signed....BUBBIE

Yes! Thanks Bubbie, My books jump over the 2000-ish models so I am very lean on info around those years.

Do they say there is a way to clear error codes other than with 50 "clean" key cycles? That part alone would drive me crazy. I would have to buy one of those Digital Tech Scan-Analyzers.:)

Wanted to let everybody know I haven't had time to work on bike lately back to working 12 hour shifts. When I get it figured out I will post. thanks everyone

Back