free website stats program 1996 FLSTC Down Shifting Problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1996 FLSTC Down Shifting Problem

That is how I adjusted the clutch. I am asking about the method that Glider speaks about in his (Easy Clutch Adjustment Method). Do you have an insight into that method or is it not used for my style and year of bike?

Craig; Does your shift lever return spring feel like its working? If you lift up on the lever, can you feel the spring pushing down to its center position? When you push down, can you feel the lever pushing back up to its center position? Mid 90's transmission detent levers had sharp edges that wore into the spring and caused them to break.
I think it feels like it is working. If I up shift it looks like it goes back to center postion, and when I down shift it looks like it goes goes back to the center position.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is how I adjusted the clutch. I am asking about the method that Glider speaks about in his (Easy Clutch Adjustment Method). Do you have an insight into that method or is it not used for my style and year of bike?

That is a tried and true method for your bike:s

It does not want to down shift. I have to rev it up and apply alot more than normal down pressure on the shifting lever to get it to shift. Sometimes when it shift it acts as if I have put it in nuetral, and I have to reshift up to get it back in gear. Sometimes when down shifting it will drop 2 gears instead of one. Just so you know it up shift just fine no problems there.

This sounds like a loose shifter arm on the shaft that comes out of the transmission. Behind the primary. Search Betterlever on here.

Breeze3at yes the spring feels like it doeso or is working. I tried Glider's easy clutch adjustment guide, and it seems to work. I rode a few miles and it was doing great. I got on the freeway and rode about 15 miles and when I got off the freeway it was back to being hard to down shift again. I have a fan on the bike trying to cool it off quicker, so I can try it again. I am wondering if maybe the clucth disks are bad, or if the cable is streched.

Back