free website stats program 1996 FLSTC Down Shifting Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

1996 FLSTC Down Shifting Problem

Craig8558

Ok here goes, The last couple of days my Heritage has been giving me fits over down shifting. I tore it apart last night and changed the trans fluid and the primary fluild. While in the primary I check the adjustment shoe and chain play and it seems to be with in the 1" limit of play. I also adjusted the clutch by loosen the cable adjuster and then the jamnut. I turn clockwise the allen set screw till it hit the seat. Then I back it off 3/4 turn and then retightened the jamnut. I re-adjusted the clutch cable. And wala not much difference in the down shifting. Did I do something wrong? Since this is the 1st of me doing this myself, I am not sure. Please help!

It does not want to down shift. I have to rev it up and apply alot more than normal down pressure on the shifting lever to get it to shift. Sometimes when it shift it acts as if I have put it in nuetral, and I have to reshift up to get it back in gear. Sometimes when down shifting it will drop 2 gears instead of one. Just so you know it up shift just fine no problems there.

It does not want to down shift. I have to rev it up and apply alot more than normal down pressure on the shifting lever to get it to shift. Sometimes when it shift it acts as if I have put it in nuetral, and I have to reshift up to get it back in gear. Sometimes when down shifting it will drop 2 gears instead of one. Just so you know it up shift just fine no problems there.

If the clutch adjustment is right probably internal shifter dogs, do you have a manual, and try aligning shifter forks and shifter linkage?

Well I am not sure about the clutch adjustment after reading Glider's easy clutch adjustment guide. Maybe you can answer this question. The easy guide say to loosen the cable adjustmentcompletely, then loosen the jamnut 2 turns, then hold the clutch handle to the bar lightly then turn the allen screw untill it starts move the clutch handle away from the bar. Now while doing this will I turn the allen screw untill it move the clutch handle or until I feel it putting pressure on the plates or what ever is in there? It kind of confuse this one old brain cell I have left.

Well I am not sure about the clutch adjustment after reading Glider's easy clutch adjustment guide. Maybe you can answer this question. The easy guide say to loosen the cable adjustmentcompletely, then loosen the jamnut 2 turns, then hold the clutch handle to the bar lightly then turn the allen screw untill it starts move the clutch handle away from the bar. Now while doing this will I turn the allen screw untill it move the clutch handle or until I feel it putting pressure on the plates or what ever is in there? It kind of confuse this one old brain cell I have left.

Colapse the cable first cold engine, adjust the center adjuster in light seat back out 3/4 tun tighten jam nut make final cable adjustment and pull clutch 3 times and ride it

Craig; Does your shift lever return spring feel like its working? If you lift up on the lever, can you feel the spring pushing down to its center position? When you push down, can you feel the lever pushing back up to its center position? Mid 90's transmission detent levers had sharp edges that wore into the spring and caused them to break.

Back