free website stats program 1250... ? | Harley Davidson Forums

1250... ?

Baggh

When I was at the Harley shop getting the rear brake checked, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I was talking to the techs about converting my 883 to 1200. There of course a number of options... bored, new heads, new heads and cams... and this one sounds awesome... converting heads\cams etc to 1250 which he stated is the Buelle engine. I thought about selling mine to get the Nightster.

I'm thinking about going the 1250 route but have never heard or noticed this mentioned before while surfing the net or on these forums. All info is about converting to 1200.

Anybody on here go the 1250 route?

Prob set me back about $3000 but ... If I went the Nightster route I'd prob need to pay 3~5K anyway to make up the difference but I'd simply have a stock Nightster. My 883 has mods on top of mods (prob about 2K worth). I'd hate to lose all that "make it your own" investing that I already did. Might as well go the distance and totally sick out my ride. Thoughts?

Hey buddy don't sell your bike to buy a nightster. I would continue to make your sporty into a fire breathing 1250. Nightsters are expensive to make run (pipes, air cleaners and a controller about $600-$1000) and like you said you would be starting out at square one. Not to mention another payment and your insurance is gonna be more on the newer bike. I am noticing on here that nobody mentions is how time consuming it is to keep all that black painted stuff clean on the nightster. Also since everything is painted you have the worry if something is gonna scratch something. With chrome that worry is a lot less as chrome is a little more durable than paint. If it was my money, I would mod your bike out this winter and make it your bike, not another Willie G showroom special.

On the other hand now would be the time to buy a new bike as I am sure they are not flying off the showroom floors. Just hold out for a price lower than the MSRP. The 09's are out so you can probably find a honey of a deal on an 08. Remember if you decide to go that route that the salesman probably hasn't sold a bike all week and he is gonna try to push the sale HARD. Just hold on your pre determined price. You should be able to find a dealer that wants to make a sale and the economy is bad so they are not selling bikes like they did even 3 months ago. Use that to your advantage. And whatever you do.... DO NOT TRADE IN YOUR BIKE UNLESS OF COURSE YOU LIKE LOSING $2-3,000!!!

The time is gone the song is over thought I had something more to say...........

thanks for the chimes. Yep... I'm thinking I'll get the 883 souped up :) Nothing like having your bike "your own" that you really invested in rather than starting from scratch with a stock machine.

Guess I'll hold off a few more months before I post pictures :) The bike does look pretty wicked... tough... meaner with the black rims now though.

Question from the ignorant..... Are you guys referring to a sporty motor with 80" evo jugs? I have heard that this can be done.........

Those guys at NRHS provide the 1250 jugs in several materials (iron lined aluminium, something they call nicom plated aluminium and cast iron) silver and black. As I understand things, 1250 is about as far as you can go in boring without breaking the cases and doing a case bore for much larger cylinders.

But like all engine work, just doing one thing doesn't help that much, it's when you combine a few more cubes, some cams, some better induction, slicker set of heads, better exhaust, that's when you see the horsepower go up. How much HP is directly related to how deep your pockets are. Best bang for the buck is improving the air flow at the intake and exhaust, after that things start to get expensive.

Back