free website stats program 12,000 miles no problems.. Now problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

12,000 miles no problems.. Now problems

It is hard to find a dealer that will go out of their way to make you happy. The dealer I bought the bike from lost his store.. Which was 1 of 3 that he had. I was taking the bike to the place of purchase for maint. But every time I would go there. There would be the same couple of people that would be a total (EDITED). I have 5 dealers within about 80 mile from where I live. Just so happens the one I went to was the original owner of the one I purchased it from in the beginning. I gues they will have my business from now on.

They said that they have problems with the stator. I would think that if they knew of problems wouldn't the moco fix the problems. The tech said they have issues with the stator between 12,000-24,000 miles. If there is a frequency of stator's being burned on a warranty issue then wouldn't a recall on them be nessary. Or am I assuming to much... I work in a manufacturing plant. When we uncover a issue with defective parts. We contact the end user for a recall to fix said issue...:newsmile036:

If there is a frequency of stator's being burned on a warranty issue then wouldn't a recall on them be nessary. Or am I assuming to much... I work in a manufacturing plant. When we uncover a issue with defective parts. We contact the end user for a recall to fix said issue...:newsmile036:

You're not the MOCO. They run and hide and wait for things to take care of themselves at OUR expense usually if it goes belly up after warranty is over.

I just read this today 11/13/08

I would think the stator.....
I could SMELL the oil BURNT
My light also went off and back on
BUT the oil in primary *** OOOOOFTA!!!!

I replaced stator-voltage regulator - battery.....

after i replaced the stator ... the regulator was putting out TOO MUCH juice to OLD battery....

It was TIME for all 3 :)2000 fxds

signed....BUBBIE

THIS might interest a few of you.....

I bought a new 2006 1200 roadster
took it to az.

to save miles put on my dyna 2000 (built hot rod)
bore 95- 10.25/1 pistons- flowed heads- larger manley springs and valves-570 SS gear cams- fueling oil pump- delcron support plate- se'e' progable ignition- larger intake manif.- 42 mucuni-scm'e air- python 3 exhaust..
installed a 6 speed gear set- USING STOCK HD SPARKPLUGS

2006 SPORT
I went thru 4 stators and voltage regulators in 2.8 yrs with a normal 2 yr warranty.... SYORY

at around 8 mos the first stator BURN out.... I call that # 2 (warranty)

then at 1.9 of the warranty the second BURNT out #3 (warranty)

at 10 mos. later with NO WARRANTY in place ANOTHER call it #4

I talked with customer service and told them about my problems.......
asked if they had PROBLEMS with 2006 bikes....
NO was their answer BUT they woul discuss with their people.......

I got a LITTLE push and shove with them and said I WOULD expect them to get to bottom of the on going problem....

They called back an agreed to HELP OUT with the repairs.... It was a WEEK before sturgis 08 and I planned to go this year....

I took the bike to sierra vista hd in az. but it TOOK 2 weeks of time to do what ever hd and the shop did ?????

I made sure they (C.S. H.D.) understood *if they wern't going to pay for it I would rather do the work MYSELF and save on the labor.....

They assured me that they would HELP... NOT saying what HELP ment i was
LEARY..... ( note bike warranty over - oct of 07-- this was aug 08)

BUT the bike NEEDED repair.... at this time bike had 34,500 mi.... (I RIDE)

THEY found the stator was BURNT and did replace it TEST-TEST- ????? looking at ignition key switch.... and wires... found nothing .....
NOTHING was found to say THIS caused the problem.......

THEY (factory HD) had the hd shop
REPLACE STATOR
REPLACE VOLT REGULATOR
NEW BATTERY
AND H.D. factory PAID FOR ALL ABOVE PARTS AND TEST LABOR....

BUT i was billed for the labor to install the stator-v reg.- and bat.

NOW when I think about it...... do YOU THINK THEY should of paid ALL???

The problem may pop up again and if so there still is an UN-FOUND problem....

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt the stators on these bikes are in a bad spot with the primary lubricant carrying all the wee bits of metal around and the rotor attracting it all to the stator area. I have had a few of the stators on my bikes fry (love the smell of napalm in the morning!). Generally craps out the VR too or shortly there after. Not sure of the cause and effect here, but they seem related. So now whenever the stator fries, I replace both!

But nothing like your problem. I would check out the "lemon law" in your State. You may have something to go back on, or at least threaten to.

TQ

Back