free website stats program 12,000 miles no problems.. Now problems | Harley Davidson Forums

12,000 miles no problems.. Now problems

formike56

Went on a 650 mile ride last weekend with out a hiccup. This morning at 5:00a.m. Pushed bike out of the garage. Started it up let it warm up about 5 minutes. I rode about 3 blocks then the check engine light along with the battery light lit up.... Dammit..... Turned around went back to the house turned it off. Started it back up no lights lit up. Waited about 3 minutes then they lit up again. Parked it got in the truck.. Will break out the volt meter tonight do a little investigating.... Anybody have this happen???? :eam:eam.. I havn't had any electrical problems. Hopefully it i something simple. I bought a service manual when I got it.. I need the electrical book for the diagnostic. HD didn't see a reason to put both the books together for a complete manual.... Another bright Idea how to get more $$$$ from you.

Glider do you have any suggestions?????? You are our answerman......

Last edited:
Went on a 650 mile ride last weekend with out a hiccup. This morning at 5:00a.m. Pushed bike out of the garage. Started it up let it warm up about 5 minutes. I rode about 3 blocks then the check engine light along with the battery light lit up.... Dammit..... Turned around went back to the house turned it off. Started it back up no lights lit up. Waited about 3 minutes then they lit up again. Parked it got in the truck.. Will break out the volt meter tonight do a little investigating.... Anybody have this happen???? :eam:eam.. I havn't had any electrical problems. Hopefully it i something simple. I bought a service manual when I got it.. I need the electrical book for the diagnostic. HD didn't see a reason to put both the books together for a complete manual.... Another bright Idea how to get more $$$$ from you.

Glider do you have any suggestions?????? You are our answerman......
Have you checked the Volt output in the battery?

Good luck
BuffaloBill

What a team here, they have it all covered.:D

Thanks guys!

Most important is to pull the code and see what you get.

Thanks for all of the quick reply's. To answer a few questions. It wasn't damp. I live in central Texas. Havn't had any signifacant rain in a while the bike is in a dry warm garage at night. It does have the stock security which is just the fob. It started doing this last night. So this evening I will be breaking out the voltage meter. I have printed out the self help part that TQuentin1 refered to. If their is DTC codes will try to resolve them. Without dealer being involved... The bike is still under warranty. So if need be they will see it at the end of the week. Glider You do have a good team here. Thanks again all.:ap:D

---------- formike56 edit/added post 969 minutes and 23 seconds later ----------

Last edited:
Ok.... Got home late as usual... Pulled out the bike. Went thru the DTC's. This is what I got.

B1006
B1007
P0562
P0563
All has to do with the charging system. Over voltage. Is that the Regulator that is bad? I cleared all of the codes started it up nothing happened till I got ove 3000 rpm the the lights came on.

Come on Glider now it is your turn. Thanks for all the help so far.
:bigsmiley30:

Thanks Glider.... I hate this part..... Testing: Thanks again for all the help. Will get back with result's

If you don't like testing and would rather throw parts at the bike, you could change the regulator and see where that takes you but you are better off testing things out first.

One thing, if you change the stator, go for the regulator also.

It may be necessary to open up the primary and visually check the magnets on the alternator. They sometimes break loose and cause the problem. NO IMPACT TOOLS HERE.

after all was said and done this week. Went to dealer on thurs. night drop off bike picked it up yesterday afternoon. Stator went burned up. Battery & regulator was fine. Look at stator just one pickup was burned. So far the best dealer experiance that I have had since buying the bike. Was all hyped up for a delay. Not this time. Thanks for all the advice on the forum over the last week.:D:D:D:D

Back