free website stats program 10K Service | Harley Davidson Forums

10K Service

gtexas

Banned
Just got the 10K service done on my 06 Street Bob.
Took my Bike to Cowboy Cycles in Garland.
Kirk used to work at Dallas Harley on Centerville and 635.
He open Cowboy Cycles a month or two ago.
Wow! I have Neutral again! ;)
Clucth is quiet and smooth as it the throttle.
He also adjusted the Neck Bearing!
Even washed that bike and it was only $155 with oils included!
I highly reccomend this place.
Good service, Good price and they had be in and out in just a few hours.
They are on Forest Lane just west of Shilo.

This was on Craigs list but it got flagged.
COWBOY CYCLES IS NOW OPEN.............REPAIR - SERVICE - SALES..........LOCATED AT 2617 FOREST LANE, GARLAND, TEXAS 75042...........SHOP NUMBER 214-703-9277

Just got the 10K service done on my 06 Street Bob.
Took my Bike to Cowboy Cycles in Garland.
Kirk used to work at Dallas Harley on Centerville and 635.
He open Cowboy Cycles a month or two ago.
Wow! I have Neutral again! ;)
Clucth is quiet and smooth as it the throttle.
He also adjusted the Neck Bearing!
Even washed that bike and it was only $155 with oils included!
I highly reccomend this place.
Good service, Good price and they had be in and out in just a few hours.
They are on Forest Lane just west of Shilo.

This was on Craigs list but it got flagged.
COWBOY CYCLES IS NOW OPEN.............REPAIR - SERVICE - SALES..........LOCATED AT 2617 FOREST LANE, GARLAND, TEXAS 75042...........SHOP NUMBER 214-703-9277

We always preach about getting a service manual and doing the work yourself, but this is a very reasonable price for this service! I'm also impressed that you were in and out in a couple hours. With my indy, I've had to leave the bike for a day or so.

Little fast for a full 10K
I dropped it off at 10:30 and picked it up at 2:30. I have no problem with the dealership. This place is a mile from my house with a Harley certified mechnic. I see no reason not to save $$$ and help out a guy trying to get his own business started.

Let me get this stright a harely tech told you that they don't do the service but charge you for it?
This stuff is getting nuts.
I've been riding for over 40 years now. Were does this come from?
If someone told me they did every service and check correctly that quick Thats the guy I would be checking on.
Instead of falling for all this anti-deaerl hipe take a good look around at bikes that get some real miles on them you will not see all of these make beleave problems and issues.
I have never in my life been ripped off cheated or had a dealer not do work I paid for.
And I just ordered a few parts from deal and as 95% of time lower cost tahn the aftmarkets.

I am not dead-set against the dealers at all. And I take what I read on the internet at face value.

I have had one service experience with a Harley dealer. They did extensive recall and warranty work on my bike and I am very please that it seems to have been done right, based on the fact that all has been good for 10,000 since the work was done.

I have also witnessed shotty workmanship by the dealer. This is not something I heard about, it is something I saw with my own two eyes, and from the same service department who did my work. A friend has an 06 FXDI like mine and was experiencing wobbling and the front end clunk (for which there is a service bulletin). He chose to have the dealer address his issues. They tried to find the source of the wobble without any luck. Their explanation, thats just the way Dynas are. That is BULL! More prevalent than that, they supposedly followed the fix as outlined in the service bulletin for the clunk. This involved replaced the steering stem washer with a hardened replacement and torquing the steering stem nut to 75-80 ft/lbs of torque. Two days later, in my presence, the bike owner was fiddling and hand loosened the nut cover. When he was able to remove it, he also fiddled with the steering stem nut and was also able to loosen it by hand. This is the nut they were to torque to 75-80 ft/lbs. Plain and simple, that is shotty work.

I don't think this represents all work done by that dealership's service department. But, I do think this is consistent with the level of service people have come to expect from businesses in general. It seems to be the norm now.

I know what I saw when this guy hand rotated his steering stem nut, and I know what I read on a forum by a guy who claimed he was a Harley tech and stated the complete service recommendations, as outlined by Harley, were not adhered to when the dealership he worked for (and a lot of others)performed maintenance.

Let's face it. The mechanics in the back aren't doing the complete job the way it should be done in all cases at all dealerships and this is a fact!
They are given an incentive to get more work out and as a result receive more than 8 hours pay for more work accomplished in an 8 hour period.

It's a fact of life that I have seen bikes go out with minimal repairs/checks done on a service basis at the specified intervals. It's all about money and don't believe for a minute that it doesn't happen.

I brought in my bike soon after purchased when it was new so they could tighten the steering head nut being it was under warranty and still new. I got it back an hour later the same way it went in.
When I called the service manager the next day who was a good guy and leveled with me, he researched the issue in the computer with my RO number that I gave him and found that the bike was entered in the computer at 10 AM and the repair order was deleted at 10:06 by this same mechanic. Warranty repairs do not receive the same pay per hour as customer repairs do so corners are cut.
Needles to say that mechanic got fired because this wasn't the first time this happened but I was told it would be the last time for him.

My point is that he's probably working at another dealership now and old habits are hard to break.
There's a LOT of dealers out there that shouldn't be in business.
Don't think that all that sparkles is gold! :s

Little fast for a full 10K

I have read posts written by Harley techs where they state they don't do the full 10,000 mile service when you take it in and they charge you for a full 10000 mile service.

I dropped it off at 10:30 and picked it up at 2:30. I have no problem with the dealership. This place is a mile from my house with a Harley certified mechnic. I see no reason not to save $$$ and help out a guy trying to get his own business started.

I must have been half asleep with my original reply - I thought Smitty was referring to the price of the service, not the time taken. Now that I'm on the same track - I don't think 4 hours is too fast for someone who knows what they are doing, has all his tools and fluids organized and ready to go, and doesn't have any other bikes in the shop to work on and distract him. None of those apply to me and that's why my 10K service took a month!

I too have seen work that was supposedly completed turn out to be untouched when checked. When pointed out, they have always been fixed, but those same techs are still working there. I started working on my bikes to save a little money and the fact that I like working on them. Some of the things I found as I performed the service made it apparent that the dealer techs were not doing everything on the list. Now, I only let them do warranty repairs/upgrades or things that I do not have the tools/knowledge for, and that is getting to be less and less everyday due to this forum.

Thanks again for all of the knowledge that is shared.

The few times i had my bike at a dealer, I found scratchs, thing out of line, just not done Right
I just try to keep the bike out of the dealer, it's to bad that you can't get the services
as when you buy the bike, In todays market you would think they would go the extra mile to get your buisness, IMO they had to many good years, and got lazy to earn your trust

Back