free website stats program 103" upgrade??? | Harley Davidson Forums

103" upgrade???

Tosoc

Hi all!
Will try to make this as short and to the point as I can.
After lots of forum/blog reading I came to the conclusion that the Stage 1 upgrade to my 2008 Road King Classic would consist of PCIII, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, and Rinehart true duals.
Just got off the phone with a mechanic at Latus Motors HD. Now I'm concerned about voiding the warranty with aftermarket parts and possible damage by using Power Commander. I explained to him that I may want additional upgrades later and didn't want to pay to re-tune SERT.
He now has me thinking about a 103" upgrade with SERT, SE air cleaner, and Rinehart true duals. He is writing up a winter discount estimate which will include which cams etc...At least I get to keep the pipes. :) This would be a higher initial cost with 1 tune and everything would be done. He tells me the dyno numbers would be very impressive, in the 100's.
This is my first EFI bike, my Heritage with a carburetor seems sooo less technical.
My head is spinning with all the information.
Any thoughts, advice, and experience is greatly appreciated.
Thanks much!!

You have to ask yourself what you want the bike to do? Go fast or just run better. Next how much money you want to spend? A lot or just enough.

Well...I thought with my original choice, PCIII, Big Sucker, Rinehart true duals, I would get better performance all around. Hadn't really considered an upgrade to larger CC. Had thought about a cam upgrade sometime later.
Has anyone had or heard of PCIII problems that fried the factory ECU?

bought a 2007 with the 103". The dealer did the upgrade with D&D fat cat pipes. I installed th SE heavy breather, PClll power commander, Had them dyno tune it. I'm now at 98HP 96 ft. lbs. torque. Just clocked 10,000 mile on the speedo. No problems so far mechanically. Just completed a 4700 mile trip. Averaged 45 mpg.. Dealer said with all my upgrades I still have the warranty.. None of the upgrades would void my warranty. Was a little worried about it. :D

I was just getting ready to post a similar question as this.I have heard of some PCIII failures but at almost 10k mine seems to be fine. Secondly I also have heard of problems with the bottom end after installing the big bore due to the added stress.. Was that on the 103 or the 110 ? I would like to go with the 103 but I don't want to destroy the bottom end. How much of a performance gain could I expect(in general, I don't need numbers) with just cams. Third I have a few dealers in my area(within 100miles )that are authorized power commander dealers .My PCIII was installed and dyno tuned by an authorized dealer/installer/tuner. If this is the case how can it void your warranty. Battlefeild Harley in gettysburg is one of these dealers. I was looking to get the work done there because they have the link up via the internet with DynoJet for when they do the dyno tune on the bike.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses!
Talked with a different HD mechanic and he said if they install the PCIII, warranty would not be affected. However...he did talk me into SERT and SE Heavy Breather. Says will dyno to high 80's hp and mid 90's tq.

Ride hard, speed safely!

I would never let some jerk in a suit tell me what I can or can't do with or to my bike.. same with my car (I installed an aftermarket turbo with 19000 miles on the clock). I can't believe how many times I've read on this or other HD forums "I don't want to void my warranty, sniff sniff.." Come on, you're riding a Harley.. do what you want with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked to DynoJet yesterday and they are coming out with the PC V for the '09 Twin Cams. I don't know if that will solve any of the frying issues, but one would hope.

I've had the PCIII "race ready" on my XL1200C since it was almost new (SE breather with K&N filter; CycleShack slip-ons.) It's run like a champ with no issues with the ECM.

Back