free website stats program 1000 mile check up | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1000 mile check up

I just picked up my 09 Ultra Classic yesterday from getting the 1000 mile service. Cost was $345.11 with tax using Syn3 oil. Bike rode better than when I first bought it. Clutch feel was much better and transmission shifts somewhat quieter.

Only gripe I have is that they made a real mess when they cleaned it which is part of the service. I've got at least an hour of cleaning to do to get it back like it was before I took it to them.

Not trying to pop your balloon, but SYN3 in all 3 applications is not necessarily the ideal. See here:

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

If you go with a FULL synthetic engine oil in the engine (20W50 for VTwins), FULL synthetic gear lube in the tranny (75W90 or 75W140 depending on temps, and a GL-5 rating), and fit-for-purpose chaincase/wet clutch lube w/o friction modifiers in the primary you will have even more improvement and longer life for your big girl.

TQ

TQ is right, use a better quality oil than the Syn3 in your bike especially in the trans. You need a gear lube for gears , not an engine oil.

Get that "stuff" out of your bike...get yourself some mobil 1 vtwin and some spectro for your tranny....6 speed stuff. This will give you a significant improvement over the SYN3. I also made the mistake of letting them put that stuff in my ride but thanks to TQ, Glider and Hobbit I made a quick change and it is like night and day. Good luck.

I have found that if you do all your own fluid changes and let them do everything else the price has been around $170 bucks give or take.

Up here in Northern Mich I have been calling around to find someone to change my rear tire cheap. I even called downstate to Grand Rapids and some indys and the price went from 225 to 350 bucks. Just to do the tire

So I finally called Gildners HD in westbranch Mi and since im going to need a 10,000 mile service, my rear tire changed and asked them to put in my new Lyndal gold plus pads with me brining in my own tire and changing my own fluids they told me under 200 bucks. I about died. I asked if he was correct on that price and he said yep, about 3 hrs labor

I have also heard they have a great mechanic there so guess whos going to be doing all my work from now on LOL

If you are trying to establish a good relationship with your dealer, by all means do so. If you are willing to do work on your bike, by all means get the manual. If you want to save money on brakes and tires...

1) Look in self help section, Glider has a nice tip on caliper cleanup...replacing the your pads with Lyndall pads is just a little more (don't forget to lube the pins).

2) Remove the wheel and tire off the bike and carry in. If you go to a metric shop, and buy tire from them the mounting and balancing is FREE! which is an outstanding deal, (just make sure you mark where the axle alignment marks are).

3) Be sure to have retrofit parts (if you are doing other work at same time), consumables like spare cotter pin, etc. Pay particular attention where all the small parts go, i.e. take pictures before, during and after assembly, and done without drama and the feeling you know it was done right. :D

Last edited:
Hmm...tried to download the manual, but it says I do not have sufficient rights? As a newbie, am I missing something? Thanks. FYI, I went to an indie chopper shop and they did the complete 1000mi for $140 + a free t-shirt, from now on I will be doing my own as I used to do. Just didn't have the time last weekend.

Back