free website stats program 1,000 mile checkup question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1,000 mile checkup question

Hi DarinDan
I paid $300.00 total. I want to do the future oil changes myself but I just wanted the 1000 mile check done by the dealer. I to am new to HD. I was learning on a 2007 750 Honda Shadow. I had to have my Heritage in for an adjustment to the front fork. I asked the tec to please ride it and let me know if all the sounds the clanging and banging I was hearing was normal. I only had my Honda to compare it to. He said it was fine so now I know. I love my bike even after my fall.

Dave

After taking my bike to the dealer and paying $285 for the service and then getting the bike back with a very loose drive belt I decided to do my own. That way I am sure that it was done. Indy garages will usually do just what you need done if you get in over your head.

If your worried about the quality of the service go somewhere else.

I have 5 dealers within a resonable distance and the closest one will never touch my bike even for emergancy repairs.

Second, the service doesn't have to be done by HD. They can't make it a requirement unless they do it for free and that aint gonna happen.

Hey Elmo,
I have heard several issues with our local HD dealer when it comes to maintenance. The only other dealer is an hour away and I thought about taking some time off work to take my bike to this dealer. I also thought about just doing the maintenance myself. I know in my owner's manual it does state what needs to be accomplished. Did not know if there were certain issues I should pay closer attention to because of failure. I know how to accomplish the fluid changes and minor maintenance. I should really go ahead and purchase a service manual and have fun with it. I just thought if I have any major problems with my new ride then it would be good to have the dealer to accomplish the inspection. I wonder if the dealer really accomplishes all the maintenance tasks or if they just comply with the fluid changes and call it good.

Why wonder? Do it yourself. And YES, get the HD Factory Service Manual for your model and year and the Owner's Manual if you don't have it anymore.

TQ

I picked up my '09 EG Classic on July 1. I received a letter from the dealership owner approx. 2 weeks later thanking me for my purchase. The letter included tips for break-in, as well as a reminder for the 1000 mile service. It said to expect to pay around $280 for the service. I replaced the motor oil/filter (Mobil1 V-Twin) as well as the tranny fluid (Spectro Platinum 6 speed.) When I took the bike in for service I told them the only fluid I needed changed was the Primary.....my bill came to $154.50.
BTW....I also received from the dealer a plaque with a photo of my bike with the VIN underneath, along with my name. It was signed by the Owner and Sales Manager. Along with that came a "discount" card, good for % off in their store.

UK HD do first service free,sure they could all do that after the amount of money we all just payed out for a new bike.

Well, I just picked up my bike yesterday from its 10k service. I pulled into the garage tonight and have all sorts of spray and fluid from the base of the primary -- my guess the gaskets weren't seated.

So-- RUN YOUR HAND UNDER THE PRIMARY and make sure your fingers are DRY before you drive off.

The dealership is closed today, will be spitting nails tomorrow.

Back